Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows will not load/no safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

The electric went off in the area. Came back on and I rebooted computer, went off again during reboot, now the computer will not start windows. Starts to load but quits suddenly during loading. Was forced to buy a new Asus computer which I am using now and love, however, I also would like to retrieve my emails, pictures, and loads of other on hard drives.

The computer that will not start is a sony RX210G model running Windows XP and all service packs installed. I opened the computer up to see if the hard drives could be removed and used as slaves but there are two hard drives and look like only Sony would use these as the wiring is totally different. Anyway, closed the computer back up and it works the same as before it was opened.

My problem is I have no Windows XP disc as Windows is located on a partition. The computer will not go into safe mode nor any other mode listed when hitting F8. No matter what I try the computer always stops loading at the same point which is: unmountable_boot_volume, or that is what is listed on the blue screen. With no Windows disk I cannot get to the recovery console to run chkdsk. I tried a system recovery but it will not start from the CD, I really don't want to lose some information anyway. I realize that chkdsk may or may not repair the problem but that seems like the only way out at this point.

Best Buy got me for a new computer, but $200 plus parts is not an option after purchasing this new computer. I would like the system up and running again, but will settle for the information stored on the hard drive if that is possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hard drives...are made to be removed. The wiring is just a harness to connect the drive...the drive can be removed from the harness.

No such system listed...is this what you meant?

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11038845

Specs aay that system has 320GB SATA drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

I would like the system up and running again, but will settle for the information stored on the hard drive if that is possible?

We will probably be able to get the system back to normal, but as a precaution, I suggest that you first retrieve a backup copy of the material that is important to you.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB).
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Ubuntu the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users