Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer (even after virus removal and defrag)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Another slow computer for you guys and gals to try and fix. But what is unusual is that my computer has no viruses and has been defraged by the windows defragmentater.

My computer has 2gb of RAM and a Intel Celeron M processor 370. Its specifically 1.5 ghz, 400 mhz FSB, 1mb L2 cache. My computer is still not at a general start-up time and firefox start-up time and performance that I want. I keep a good amount of space available, have just 2 startup programs in msconfig, defrag when a analyze of my hardrive says show, and am free of viruses. And the computer also freezes sometimes and I need to force shutdown.

I don't believe the harddrive or other parts are going bad. There are no errors, installing, or saving problems.

I would like to say thank you in advance.
Malware shall not pass!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turnorburn

turnorburn

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

Another slow computer for you guys and gals to try and fix. But what is unusual is that my computer has no viruses and has been defraged by the windows defragmentater.

My computer has 2gb of RAM and a Intel Celeron M processor 370. Its specifically 1.5 ghz, 400 mhz FSB, 1mb L2 cache. My computer is still not at a general start-up time and firefox start-up time and performance that I want. I keep a good amount of space available, have just 2 startup programs in msconfig, defrag when a analyze of my hardrive says show, and am free of viruses. And the computer also freezes sometimes and I need to force shutdown.

I don't believe the harddrive or other parts are going bad. There are no errors, installing, or saving problems.

I would like to say thank you in advance.

Could you please provide the name of your security applications?

Thanks..

I forgot to add Hijack this, would you please run this application and post your results..

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Thanks again..

Edited by turnorburn, 22 September 2011 - 07:40 PM.

Saved by grace and grace alone

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

<<I forgot to add Hijack this, would you please run this application and post your results...>>

This is bad advice...and runs contrary to established procedures for this forum and this website. Do NOT run HJU or post any malware logs here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-56/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/

The above is posted rather prominently, see bold text at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum56.html

There is also a prohibition against such recommendations/suggestions...from members who are not Staff and trained to deal with malware, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383782.html

"Posting instructions for the use of the following by non-staff members is prohibited in this area, as well as in all other areas of the forums. This list contains tools and procedures that are forbidden, the instructions for using similar tools or procedures should not be posted here, or elsewhere on Bleeping Computer forums, without prior Staff approval.
•Manual file removal instruction.

•ComboFix instructions or discussion.

•Registry instruction.

•Automated registry cleaners.

•HiJackThis, DDS, OTL, or RSIT instructions.

•Custom scripts, batch files.

•Rootkit removal (including usage of advanced ARK tools, TDSSkiller, MBR.exe and Esage Bootkit Remover).

•Other specialized fix tools the BC Staff deems untrained members should not recommend for use."

Even though it says "forum", it was meant to convey "website", with minor modifications in the other website forums (scripting, registry edits, batch files.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#4 turnorburn

turnorburn

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

I apologize, i thought we were in the right forum, I'm aware of the seriousness of Malware and such, whenever I'm in a fix I'll run Hijack this, i haven't been in a fix for years. No I'm not qualified, I wish I had the training so i could help these folks with infected machines. I won't be handing out advice in the future and again I apologize.

turnorburn
Saved by grace and grace alone

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

No problem...many members go by their previous experiences in other forums...which may operate differently :).

Here we try our best to protect the interests of members posting...by encouraging the right issues be under the purview of those who are best qualified to help and not unintentionally hurt...the membership. Malware issues and tools...are much too sophisticated and potentially damaging to a system...to do otherwise, IMO.

At this time, we are treating the issues stated by the OP...as if they are not malware issues and there is no need to go down that particular path based on what has thus far been stated.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

<<My computer has 2gb of RAM and a Intel Celeron M processor 370. Its specifically 1.5 ghz, 400 mhz FSB, 1mb L2 cache. My computer is still not at a general start-up time and firefox start-up time and performance that I want.>>

Can you elaborate on this? Just what are the deviations from standards that you want?

Are the browser and startup issues...the only problems you have noted?

Any onscreen error messages of any sort?

Louis

#7 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

No error messages of any sort. No problems opening or saving files.

Just the computer freezes and I have to force shutdown. Firefox also hangs even though there is enough RAM for it to run smoothly.
Malware shall not pass!

#8 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

Also, there is a very small amount of programs that start on startup. Just my anti-virus in msconfig( and any essential windows stuff). My AV is trend micro.

So my main problem is firefox hangs a lot. I don't think its a software problem since there is no trouble going to websites, just hanging for a minute or two.
Malware shall not pass!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

Freezes are caused by many things. Since you don't get an error message (which would point to Windows or a program, IMO), I would start with assuming that the system is overheating and try to disprove that premise.

As for browser hanging...uninstall it, reinstall it or reset it. I would take a careful look at the browser add-ons that are enabled, removing all but those truly necessary (Java, Flash Plsyer, etc.).

FWIW: To truly see your startup items, I suggest you use a program like Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml OR Startup Inspector for Windows - http://www.windowsstartup.com/ .

Louis

#10 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

I am going to be busy this weekend, so I might not post until Monday.
Malware shall not pass!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Some of us will be around :).

Louis

#12 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

I used both those programs and as I said, there is barely anything.

Here is what I found:

1) Trend Micro Officescan NT Monitor(antivirus)

2) ctfmon.exe (do I need this???)

3)and LXCRCATS (this is something for my printer)

My questions are:

Do I need the ctfmon.exe?

And do I need the printer thing? I don't print anything. I only use the printer's scanning feature.
Malware shall not pass!

#13 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

I uninstalled Startup Inspector and I was able to remove it. It said if I wanted to remove borlndmm.dll. I said no.

Will I need to remove borlndmm.dll? Please instruct me if I do?
Malware shall not pass!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Did you read the instructions for using Startup Inspector?

You asserted that you only had two startups...I suggested the programs I did...so that you could see that msconfig is not a startup manager and users cannot go by what is reflected there.

Ctfmon is not worth worrying about, IMO.

If you have a Lexmark printer...leave the Lexmark files alone.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2011 - 08:39 AM.

#15 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

How much space on your hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users