To Reset and Reregister Windows Update Components
NOTE: This option is the Windows 7 version of: How do I reset Windows Update components?. It will reset Windows Update Components and reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files to help fix Windows Update errors. This option will not clear the view update history details list as in OPTION ONE above.
1. Click on the Download button below to download this file below.Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat
2. Click on Save, and save the .bat file to your Desktop.
3. Right click on the downloaded .bat file, and click on Run as administrator.
4. If prompted by UAC click on Run, then Yes (if administrator) or type in administrator's password (if standard user).
5. You will now see a elevated command prompt open and run. When it's finished, it will close automatically.
6. Restart the computer afterwards to apply.
This is taken from here
.As always, if you are performing such an invasive action as this, it is always a good bet to create a full image backup of your HDD in case of failure.
Edited by bludgard, 23 September 2011 - 12:47 AM.