Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nobelgas

nobelgas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Everytime I load my harddrive , this message appears:

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt windows system32 config\system32\hal.dll file is corrupt or missing,"

My windows vista 320 wd scorpio blue gb hard drive would not load anyway on my T43 ibm thinkpad because it wasn't initially compatible with the hard drive, but I only received the 2010 error message, not the recent message as quoted above. Luckily, I backed up everything on my harddrive to an external hard drive anyway. The next action I want to take is delete everything on my 320 gb hdd and just start with a blank slate and I want to delete my hard drive via BIOS setup. Will the message still appear if I delete everything on my 320 gb harddrive and start from a blank slate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I want to delete my hard drive via BIOS setup.

Not sure how you will able to do that.

Tekken

#3 nobelgas

nobelgas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

I want to delete my hard drive via BIOS setup.

Not sure how you will able to do that.

How would I delete the data on my harddrive if I can't even access my operating system.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

You could use a operating system cd to reformat the hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

^ Yep.

First things first. Start up your computer, access the BIOS and change the Boot Sequence Order to make your CD/DVD drive first on the list.

Place the Windows OS disc in the drive, save the BIOS settings and let the computer restart. It should now start reading from the Windows OS disc and bring up the Setup screen.

Once there, you may proceed to view the existing partition and format it completely.

Here's a quick guide for reference:
http://howtoformatacomputer.com/ (Choose the Windows OS and it will explain how to go about it)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users