Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Detect process scanning network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scomage

Scomage

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hello. I have a process on my computer that is sending out UDP network scans to every address on 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. The packets are on random ports and continuous. I noticed it on my router log. What software can I use to attempt to detect what process is sending the scans. It does not happen in safe mode with networking. I killed most processes and the scan continued. Please advise the best course of action.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Process Monitor

#3 Scomage

Scomage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

THANKS!! I knew there had to be a tool to do this. Awesome program. Pointed out the process in 5 minutes. Just an FYI for the group, it was the Canon IJ Network scanning tool. This app sends UDP packets out to the device to tell it the computer is available to receive scans. It polls every 3-5 seconds even if you are on a different subnet. My home network is 192.168.2.x and at work it is 10.10.10.x. So it polls for a scanner it will never find. Gotta love this well written software! Be aware to turn off the network scan tool if you are not using it.

Thanks again.

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users