Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Error?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

When I am in a forum or simply googling and want to click on a Link to communicate, I get the following message:

" could not perform this operation because the default client is not properly installed."

If I write down the e-mail address, I can manually send the e-mail.

My OS is windows home edition, IE 6 and Outlook Express.
These are the programs that came with my Toshiba Satellite notebook which I purchased in 2005.

I did a scannow and that did not fix the error.
I also did a msconfig and checked the startup programs and there did not appear to be anything unusual there.

The notebook is kept updated with the security programs daily and as well scanned and checked by our office techie.
I don't know if I have accidentally disabled or enabled something as I am not computer literate.

I hope that someone can help me out of my dilemma.

Cheers.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Have you gone through the steps here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-internet-explorer-6-and-outlook-express/

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Thx for the reply, I did not believe that this could be a common problem and so I did not check the tutorials. The office tech has indicated that there is no spyware problem.
I read the suggested steps for "xp" in using the scannow and noted that the tutorial indicated to follow the prompts and then reboot when completed.

I let the process complete which was about 5 hours ago before I decided to post here. When the scannow was complete the window that I typed the command in simply remained open and gave another opportunity to type in a command.

I interpreted this as being completion of the command and exited the window, however I did not reboot.

I will again do a scannow and reboot.

The command that I used was:
sfc (space) and then typed in scannow.
That is not quite what is in the tutorial?? or is this the same command.

I am going to try this again.
When it comes to the Registry I will get a Tech to dabble there.

Cheers.

#4 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:53 AM

I did the scannow via the tutorial recommendations for "xp"... sfc /scannow and this time the window opened up to the horizontal bar showing the progression of the blue line in its check of windows. It took about 25 mins. and then finished by showing my desktop.
I let it sit several minutes and then I did a reboot and tried clicking on another web address and still got the same error:
"could not perform this operation because the default client is not properly installed."

It looks like I will have to get a tech to do the regedit as I don't feel competent enough to tackle making the changes and D/L of the IE 6 and reinstall of the sp1 and then updating to sp2.

I thought that it might be something I erred in doing, however now I can see that it might be something far greater since there is a whole tutorial devoted to it?

Does this mean my IE6 and Outlook Express are corrupt? Since my computer is a notebook the recovery disk as far as I know does not install individual programs and I don't want to restore my notebook to how it was when it came out of the box.
I do have a backup, however it has this same error in it.

Any other comments?

Regards.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:06 AM

I don't know why you were getting different results with sfc /scannow, but I guess we can assume it didn't fix the problem.
OK - you need to do both the registry edits (since we don't know whether the problem is IE or OE) and then download/install IE6 (which brings OE with it). This has nothing to do with SP levels of XP, it's a straight installation of an application so I'm not sure what you mean about updating to sp2.

Hopefully the reinstallation of IE & OE will fix the problem. If not post back as there may be another way to tackle the problem before you look at reinstalling XP.

When did this problem start? Do you have a system restore point you can go back to before that time?
Make sure your hard drive is healthy by scheduling a chkdsk(Scandisk) at the next convenient boot.
How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:44 AM

You could try iefix.exe. Free download.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:34 AM

Have you recently downloaded or installed SP2?

Exactly when did the problem start?

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 January 2006 - 08:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users