Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card And Software Modem Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mgerstley

mgerstley

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

the sound card no longer shows up in the device manger or plays any sound. the modem also does not show up and does not connect to the net. any ideas? dell told me to pay 99 bucks before they could tell me what to do. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:54 AM

Ah yes. Dell hell,I know it well! Without any further info, here goes: If your sound and modem are integrated on the motherboard, and they fail,a message to that effect will display on the bootscreen. If that is the case, you will need to install 2 pci cards (sound and modem) If that is not the case, enter the bios on boot by pressing f2 repeatedly when the boot screen appears, and check to see if the sound and modem have been disabled. If so, follow the directions and enable them. I have about 15 old Dell's, and I have found I usually have to disable and install pci cards for lasting results. Also, there should be a group of diagnostic lights on the back of the unit. They are color coded, and give you valuable information on your system functioning. You can access the Dell site and download that info for your os.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

What model Dell are you having trouble with? Like gunner I have a dozen or so Dell. Mine are alittle older, GX1 and GX1p setup for the kids. I have found a bad motherboard battery can cause this condition.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users