Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep vs Hibernate?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

I have heard many side of the debate about weither or not to sleep or Hibernate a PC, or shut down or leaving it powered on.

Here are my two setups, let me know what you think should be best. I want to try and conserve power, while not impacting my computer usage that much (if at all)

Both PC's are running Windows 7

Desktop- I leave this one running 24/7. I kinda make it my personal "server", and i use Windows Live Mesh to snyc my PC's together. I do open it up 3-4 times a year and blow out dust with compressed air, so that dust does not build up. Ive been doing this since i got my first PC in 2002, and never had a hardware failure (except one failed Hdd). I have a Flat Panel LCD monitor, which i turn off. Would it be better to let the LCD "sleep" too?

Laptop-I power down this when im not using it. My main consern is about putting it into sleep mode and sticking in a Neoprene sleve, and carrying it around in my backpack (im a college student). Would a sleeve or a backback restrict airflow, and possible overheat? or would a computer be more prone to damage while powered on? (sleep or full power?)
The laptop i am also tired of having to boot it up before my classes start. is it ok to leave a laptop on 24/7? Im thinking of getting an external cooler and fan, and leaving in on there while im at home/and or charging the battery

Edited by derek.ellis, 22 September 2011 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

I'm not a fan of either Hibernation or Sleep. My recommendations:

For the desktop, just set the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity.

As for the laptop, t just power it down when you're not using it? Booting it before classes start can't be that much of a problem.

#3 derek.ellis

derek.ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

Well i got so much stuff (well, the wife does acutally) that it will take a good 5-7 mintues for everything to load.

Yahoo
AIM
MSN
Avira (set to scan on bootup if last scan was missed)
Weatherbug

I know that these can be disabled, but the wife instists that they start when the PC boots (Windows) up.

#4 derek.ellis

derek.ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Also with using Sleep mode, will Windows Still do things that i set it for?

I have a TV Tuner and use Windows Media Center to record TV shows. Will WMC still record in sleep mode?
Antiviruis- i set it to scan and update everynight. Will this still happen in sleep mode too?

Edit to add- can i still file share and use my networked printer in sleep mode? Ie i print from my laptop, to the printer, which is connected to the Desktop

Edited by derek.ellis, 22 September 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

You'll need to set scheduled tasks to wake the computer:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/166809-task-scheduler-wake-up-computer.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

#6 mamassito

mamassito

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:34 AM

For years I used to favor hibernation (to get this straight - I have always despised shutting down - because of the start up times).

Now I tend to prefer the Sleep function more. In fact I don't remember switching off my Vaio for 3 and half months now. It loads instantly of course. Downfall of Sleep is that you need a good battery life or have it plugged in if you plan to leave your laptop over for an extended period of time (say 2 weeks? - never happens to me).

Hibernate, on the other hand, spends much less battery life, but it still takes time (less than cold start up) on average machines.

I dream for the day why I'll get myself an SSD. I don't think I would care for start up times then and would just power down my laptop.
que fuerte!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users