Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP backup software booted from cd?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Packet Dropped

Packet Dropped

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

I need to make an image backup of an XP pro system without installing software. A new secretary at a friend's office has hosed up a system where first the dedicated backup drive died which she ignored for weeks (despite being warned every day about it). Then she installed McAfee firewall into a system running KIS Pure. All of the installed software as listed by the control panel is missing. I would like a recommendation for a backup solution where I can boot from cd and image the C: drive to a usb backup disk. I don't want to try to install or uninstall anything. Extra credit for partition/volume management tools on the cd.

I know I could install the disk as a slave in another system and after lunch I'll look at portable apps. I assume something is out there that would handle this situation.

Also is it possible to recover or rebuild the list of installed software in control panel?

Thanks, pd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Hello and welcome to the form!

"I don't want to try to install or uninstall anything"
I am afraid that imaging a hard drive is going to be next to impossible without installing SOME sort of software.
It is not like the old DOS days where you could just copy everything over.
Remember that your backup is only as good as your ability to restore.

For the add/remove programs issue, try Microsoft FixIt from here
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

I would suggest using Clonzilla live CD for creating a clone or image of an XP machine. I have been using this software for a couple of years now without incident. The program is open source but not the most user friendly. There are many paid for programs that are reliable such as Acronis that are more user friendly.
If it is a multi-tool live media program you are searching for, give UltimateBootCD a go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users