Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Idle Process

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 devilinabox

devilinabox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hi, I decided to ask for advice on this subject as i handle most things on my own, but i cant solve this.

Well, for the past week the System idle process has been hogging all my CPU.

Have done the usual investigative routes, scans, safe mode scans etc.

I have used my residential products: Malwarebytes, Superanti-spyware, Eset SS5 and have tried a couple of others being Hitman pro and Kaspersky on-line virus scanner.

Since the problem started i have been trying to think of any odd installations but nothing springs to mind, to that end i have already put two different OS's on the machine and the problem still exists even in safe mode! (Puzzled at this)

I have trawled all across the net trying to find a solution but keep going round in circles.

I'm Running Win 7 x64

Anyone with any id's would be great to have your input. Thanks if at all possible in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

The system idle process shows how much of the cpu is NOT being used. You want that number to be as high as possible.

#3 devilinabox

devilinabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Yes thank you i understand that , but its that which is effectively making my PC crawl along and preventing me from using my PC as normal and this is not normal i assure you.

this is the only thing hogging my CPU , and since it has , it has been like watching paint dry whilst doing menial task's.

This must be the problem?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

One of us doesn't understand the other. System Idle Process CANNOT hog anything. In a perfect world it would always be at 99%.

So please, forget about system idle process. When you say your system is "crawling along", please describe in detail what is going on. Also, how does the system perform in safe mode?

#5 devilinabox

devilinabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Ok, beg your pardon i was wrong about the system idle process.

At the moment the PC seems ok at the moment, apart from the cooling fan making more noise than usual, its bizarre, reminiscent of making and appointment to see the doctor, but by the time you see him, theres nothing wrong with ya , you follow?

I'm going to give it another 24hrs and monitor it.

Many thanks for your input.

Devilinabox.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

Okay. We'll be here if you need help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users