Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot re-install OS on Compaq Presario sr1403wm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

I am trying to re-format my hard drive with my original HP XP Home SP2 cd. It loads the files and then it shows" windows is starting". Then it goes back to the boot
automatically and starts the install again. I have tested the hd with a re-generator and checked the 1GB ram, motherboard. All shows good.
my OE cd is sp2 that I am using...it is a 160g Western Digital pata drive. The bios is set to boot from cd first and hdd second. I also swapped out the optical drive
to eliminate that possibility. I made a copy of the OS cd and tried that as well.
Be advised that I checked the hd integrity with a hard disk re-generator program and it tested ok. I also used mem test 86 and ran it for 30 min with no errors.
On this last try, I get this error: "error loading operating system" "press any key to reboot cd." but now it won't even boot my cd software. Now it finally is
back to the reboot cycle again. Also, I did a Dariks boot and nuke to get a clean partition.
I attached a usb drive adapter to the removed hd and plugged it into an old laptop. I d/l the WD h/d diagnostics file to my flash drive and ran the tests from
there...the drive test was successful...I would appreciate any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Well...the first problem that I see...is that you have a Compaq system...which means recovery/restore mechanisms, not a MS Genuine XP install CD.

Read Carefully.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

You didnt test the drive with the Western Digital diagnostics.
Thats the program that you want to use instead of a re-generator as it is specifically designed for Western Digital drives.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

I attached a usb drive adapter to the removed hd and plugged it into an old laptop. I d/l the Western Digital h/d diagnostics file to my flash drive and ran the tests from
there...the drive test was successful...It is a model AV and I also tried a Cavier...same results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users