Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons of all applications are lost?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

By mistake my icons for all different applications and programs have been changed into same looking icons. How can I restore back icons for all programs to their own original ones? Re-installing all those many applications is not possible, so please help me. I think may be all icons for the .exe files and shortcuts to them have been changed. Is is so? I tried to refresh icons using tuneup styler but it didn't work .Please help me find a solution to these.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

Worth a look, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/bea47202-d869-4155-8c8f-2a5b8bd7be1d/ .

Louis

#3 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

Worth a look, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/bea47202-d869-4155-8c8f-2a5b8bd7be1d/ .

Louis

I did try to rebuild the icon cache but it doesn't work. Although icons for shortcuts can be restored from its properties but I can't set icon in such a way for the executable files.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:46 AM

I tried to refresh icons using tuneup styler but it didn't work

Actually Tuneup Styler is generally used for setting Custom Icons and not always for repairing the old shortcuts.
If you delete an icon then, Right click on the items in Programs, and select "Send shortcut to desktop" do you get the correct Icon back ? ?
Or is this just giving you a Generic Icon instead ? ?

Regards -

#5 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

My problem has been solved. I was suggested by my friend to change one of the registry keys and now I got all my icons back. It was HKEY_Local_Machine\software\classes\exefile\DefaultIcon; 'Data' column into %1.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for posting feedback on your solution. Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users