Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Re-Install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tamaeus

Tamaeus

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

My desktop computer is pretty old (plus it had a pretty bad malware on it), so I saved what I could to another computer and did a System Restore. Everything was going well, until that black "Please Wait" screen came up. Now it's saying that it cannot create the file "c:\hp\bin\SetRes.log". I've tried doing another System Restore and got the same result. I even tried downloading the Windows Diagnostic Tool and tried booting it from CD, but it didn't work. It won't even boot in Safe Mode.

What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

I saved what I could to another computer and did a System Restore.

Hi -
Have you just done a Sysyem Restore from Accessories > System Tools > System Restore ?
Or have you done (or attempted) to reinstall from a Genuine Windows CD and that is your Restore ?

Thank You -

#3 turnorburn

turnorburn

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

What are the specs? going to need more information, even then that machine may have seen its last day. :inlove:
Saved by grace and grace alone

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:10 AM

I disagree. I have a decade old computer that runs just fine.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:28 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 Tamaeus

Tamaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi -
Have you just done a Sysyem Restore from Accessories > System Tools > System Restore ?
Or have you done (or attempted) to reinstall from a Genuine Windows CD and that is your Restore ?

Thank You -

I did a full system restore I didn't have a CD, so I used that F10 System Restore method.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

HP Windows XP Professional. Model #SR1620NX

I think that's the model number. I'm not sure where to find it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

FWIW:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=zh-hant&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=501310&rule=39682&dest_page=product

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=37535&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1127351

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users