Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do I Need For Networking?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

Alright. My dad wants to get all of the computers in our house networked for internet use, seeing as our ISP only allows one computer to be hooked up at once (we have cable internet). He wants it to be wireless, as our comps are spread all around the house. No matter what and how much he tells us, he simply doesn't know what he's doing, and I'm scared he might buy the wrong things. What exactly do you need to set up a wireless network? The one that he wants should be able to wireless connect all of our computers, allowing them to use the internet. He also wants to be able to connect wireless devices like PSPs and stuff like that to it. What do we need to set it up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

One wireless router. One NIC (Network Interface Card) for each computer. I do not like USB. If you have the slot use PCI or on a notebook PCMCIA slot.
I recommend a print server. Computers can share one printer without having the printer connected to a computer. This way you do not have to leave a computer on to print thru. By the way you can buy a router with a print server built in.
You may need a repeater/access point to relay the signal if the house is very big.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

Ok. I thought it was a router and a card for each comp, but I wasn't sure. Last time, my dad tried to use those USB thingies... that's probably why it didn't work so well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users