Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Reformatting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Edinkansas

Edinkansas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:11 PM

hi there! This is my first time posting. I joined because I am looking for an answer to the question I am about to ask. I hope to stay around and participate in other discussions as well.

I have Windows XP home edition on my computer. I desperatly need to re-format.

I have two hard drives. My question is, can I re-format them one at a time, and if so, can I move some things to one hard drive while the other is being re-formatted so I don't lose it?

I have TONS of MP3 files on my computer, and I need to get them somewhere. I can move all of the other files onto disc, but this is the only thing I can think of to do with the music files.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

ED

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

You may reformat the disks separately. I would reformat the data destination disk first, then move what you want to keep there, and then reformat the other disk. Remember, you will need to re-install your OS and all other applications after reformatting, and you cannot simply copy applications back to your programme disk and expect them to work.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Edinkansas

Edinkansas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

ok, forgive me for sounding dumb, but what is the data destination disc? I have data on both of them. I originally got the second one because the first one was supposedly not working, but it seems to be fine now so I have stuff on both of them......

my main concern was just that I don't want to lose my music files. I have all of my program discs, so that isn't a problem.

thank you for your help.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:04 AM

You can move all the data files (including MP3s) to the second hard drive.

Actually, the best thing might be if you have data files on the second drive that are not duplicates of what you now have on the master drive (the first drive - the one that has your operating system on it), you can move them to the first hard drive. the master drive, reformat the slave drive, then move all data files you want to keep to the slave.

Then reformat your master drive, reinstall your operating system and programs, and move whatever data you want back from the slave to the master drive.

Just a recommendation:

I find the following works well -

I partition my master hard drive into three virtual drives.

One for the operating system

The second for most other programs (ones that are not actually part of the op system like IE and Outlook which install with your op system)

And a third for all data files.

If you have a large enough drive to have room to do this it can be beneficial because if you ever have to reload your op system again the virtual drives on your main hard drive will not be affected.

Your second drive (slave) can be useful for backup and working with large files like videos, or MP3 files, pix, etc.

It is also a good idea to put your swapfile (paging file) on the slave drive (actual second hard drive - not a virtual drive partition). Doing so will make your system slightly faster. (The rule of thumb is that the pagefile should be one and a half times how much RAM you have).

If you ever had a problem with the second hard drive I would suggest you check it thoroughly. There are several programs available to check the "health" of the drive including Everest Home Edition. In any case, I would check it out to make sure it was healthy so you didn't move data to it and then loose it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 January 2006 - 12:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users