Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics card slowing system down. whats wrong??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wormtape

Wormtape

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hello! First time poster here, hoping someone can assist me with this issue. So a few weeks ago my original video card fried after a few years. it was an nvidia 8800gt. served me well during the 3 odd years i used it. So at the time i picked up a cheap ATI card, downgrade just to get me by for a bit. a week later i returned it and picked up the GeForce GTS450 and installed that. ever since i installed the newest one my computer has slowed down considerably. opening google chrome takes time, and opening youtube videos can take minutes instead of being instant. at first the main game i'm playing (dead island) ran ok but suddenly i was getting lag spikes, or the game would start with unbearable lag and i would have to shut it down, or the game would start with strange audio issues and lag. ive tried dropping the graphics on the game, no help. when i check taskmanager it says the game is running up to 31% CPU during heavy lag, google chrome also is using a bunch of CPU at weird times.

SO! for the record i uninstalled all old drivers before installing new ones, also used driver cleaner/sweeper to insure i didnt miss anything. installed the latest driver for the card, ive ran avast and malwarebytes looking for infections and found none. uninstalled and reinstalled google chrome, didnt help. checked the card to insure it was seated properly and it is. tried reinstalling the card + drivers, no help. I'm about at the end of what i know to check, unsure if something is failing or if there is just a conflicting software or driver somewhere i missed. Any help would be appreciated!

Specs:

Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium.
4G DDR2 ram
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Quad core 2.5ghz
geforce GTS450 1024 mb GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0
power source is 400W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

My first guess is your PSU is way to weak to handle that system-Im surprised it handled your 8800, I would start with upgrading to at least a 500-550 watt PSU.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:29 AM

The 8800 was OC too, and lasted a few years with the PSU. Seeing as this GTS450 says a 400W PSU is adequate i assumed it would be ok? the guy at the store told me the same as well. Would my PSU possibly cause all these issues? I just want to make sure there is nothing i can check here or fix here before i start buying new pieces!

Just some numbers i checked in BIOS.

Processor thermal margin - 38C
MOBO temp - 46C
ICH / MCH temp - 77C

+12V - 12.02V
+5V - 5.15V
+3.3V - 3.313V

Havent had any BSOD yet. No strange sounds coming from PSU or anything else. No loud fans running or lack of fans either really.

Edited by Wormtape, 22 September 2011 - 05:12 AM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

What is the model of your power supply? Is there hot air blowing out on the power supply when gaming?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

No hot air coming from the back during gameplay.

Model - Delta Electronics DPS-400 RB A Rev 01F

some back ground info, its a gateway gaming rig, prebuilt from Computer Trends in calgary. About a year into ownership the hard drive fried, since it was still under warranty i brought it in a replacement HD was put in, though many drivers were left uninstalled and i foolishly had no backup. (I create a backup on an external HD every week now, learned my lesson hehe) Computer ran fine regardless of any drivers missing, however recently when my OC nvidia geforce 8800GT stopped working i looked into computer more closely and found the drivers i was missing, audio driver, chipset driver i think, a lot of this was new to me but i believe all were installed correctly now. Not exactly sure what kind of Hard Drive was installed as replacement, 500GB for sure, quick look inside shows seagate model # ST3500410AS . Is it possible my HD could be failing instead of the PSU?

#6 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:07 AM

SOLVED!

It was indeed my PSU. Its a 400W PSU, but about 3.5 years old now and probably outputting less then it should. My newly installed GPU required 400W minimum, however after some research i discovered it was more along the lines of 450. So not only was I not hitting the minimum but i was probably quite below it. I tried quite a few things before finally Underclocking my GPU. Dropped it by about 150 points and suddenly, since it required much less power to run, everything sped up again to normal - Windows, Internet Browsers, even my games were completely fine again. Went out and picked up a nice corsair 600W PSU and 4 more GB of RAM just cause =) Everything is perfect, thanks to everyone who pointed me in the direction of the PSU, saved my rig!

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

Good to hear and also a very wise choice to pick a Corsair power supply as they are well built and designed :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users