Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormal Program termination error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tinymee

tinymee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hi. Don't know if anyone can help me with this. (i hope i have posted this in the right forum, i am told this problem is probably a windows error) I have spoken with the software salesman/developer? and he said this is the first time this error has ever happened with their software. After trying all sorts of things like turning off antivirus, anti malware and even my graphics card it still wont work. I probably should mention that the Programs will both run in safemode but not in normal bootup?? I also tried stopping all startup programs in msconfig as an experiment but that didnt work. They told me it is probably a registry problem and advised i try a registry cleaner but I have read advice on this site in the past warning against using such things so i thought i would see if one of you might have a better idea???

The software I am trying to run is called exact roofing. http://www.exactroofing.com/index_er.html
It runs on our other computer fine.

Please any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

You mention two programs, I see a link to only one.

What version of Exact Roofing are you trying to install?

The 3.0 Demo license is only good for 7 days.

I just downloaded/installed this program with no problems.

If you have a licensed version...you probably need to take that up with the software developers.

Louis

#3 tinymee

tinymee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hi thanks for your reply.
Sorry the other software was scale-ruler which is a shorter version of the exact roofing software. i have been in touch with the company and they are the ones that suggested trying a registry cleaner as he said i am the only person who has ever had the problem and thinks it is something wrong with my computer?? The demo wouldn't run at all from first installation and he has given me all sorts of updates to try and none of it worked. It will run in safe mode but not when i start up normally.

clutching at straws.

Cheers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:09 AM

Well...anyone who xuggests a registry cleaner as an answer...is off the mark, IMO.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
A wild guess at what the problem might be...is not something I'm prepared to make, based on what you have reported thus far. Without an error message pointing to a specific aspect of your system...what you are asking is pretty much playing blind man's bluff.

Louis

#5 tinymee

tinymee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

Thanks anyway. All it does when I try to open program is bring up an error window with for eg, ScaleRuler.exe as title at top and then in the grey part "Abnormal program Termination"

At first he thought it was a conflict with my graphics card or Antivirus or something but to no avail. I didn't know where to go next, just thought someone out there who knows a lot more about computers on the off chance might have an idea. I had guessed it might be to random though.

Thanks for trying and taking the time to answer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

You might try the following.

Download/install the following, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29 .

Louis

#7 tinymee

tinymee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

Cheers
i did that but I already have that installed so it gave me the option to repair which i did. I restarted just in case but nah still wont work.
What a bummer.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users