Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I Can't Sit Down

I Can't Sit Down

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hello. I'm new, as you can probably tell. I've searched far and wide for a solution to an ongoing problem with my windows xp computer.

First, the problem was that my desktop computer could not connect to the internet, but it was receiving a connection. I'm not very smart with the computer, but I'm not completely illiterate about it. As soon as the internet suddenly stopped working, so did many other things. For example, system restore was not working. It said,"the dll was not found." I looked, and I found that the dll for system restore was in the dll cache, yet when I dragged it to system 32, still nothing, same error message. I had the netgear wireless adapter, and it wouldn't work all of a sudden. My ISP said it is a computer problem, and reccommended MalwareBytes, and it found a few bad files, but still, my problem kept on. Internet works, however, on the laptop I am on now, which is my family member's, but it is a laptop, and it picks up the wireless signal just fine. I was told to delete Avast, since it might have been blocking me from a connection, but nothing happened. He told me to go to the command prompt and ping yahoo.com, and still, nothing. He also told me to reset something in the command prompt, but I forgot the name of it.

After giving up with the internet, I just decided to play Diablo II and live without internet on my computer. An error message stating that Google Desktop failed to work usually shows up, and it takes me to the desktop, showing the error message. I 'x' out of the error message, and realize that the whole screen for Diablo is magnified, and my desktop icons and wallpaper are zoomed in quite a bit, and my background picture looked like a grid was on it. I tried to fix the situation by right clicking, properties, and adjusting the screen resolution to make it smaller after I restarted my computer, and all of a sudden, an error message saying explorer.exe was not found showed up, my icons disappeared as well as my desktop, and nothing would work except task manager.

I went to task manager, and tried running explorer.exe, but it wouldn't work and I got the same error message. Occasionally, I would also get an error message saying Dr. Watson's Post Mortem Debugger failed, as well. I use the administrator's account on my computer, and my sister kept her account on there which is just a standard user. Her desktop shows up, so does everything, but not mine. Explorer is running in her account's processes, but not mine. System restore won't work, either.

I ran explorer.exe today from the task manager, and it showed me my task bar for once. I tried clicking start and going to control panel, but when I clicked control panel, the start menu would freeze and an error message would pop up. I went to the event manager, and it only showed errors with the internet, but not the explorer.exe problem. I've tried every thing at this point, and still I can't get my desktop back. For now, I want ATLEAST my desktop to work so that I can do a back up disc with all my information, and get a new disc to reboot my computer, but control panel or nothing that I click on in the start menu will work. I just looked, and it said the explorer.exe is running in my processes, but why is nothing showing up?

If there is any way you know how to help, please share it with me. I'm desperate.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2011 - 05:44 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I Can't Sit Down

I Can't Sit Down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

Also, I just restarted my computer and tried going onto the standard account to look at my computer information, since I only know that I'm running on a Windows xp Home Edition, an eMachine. I wanted to find out more detailed information to give to you all, but now, I try to click on the other account, and it blinks back to my administrator account, which is the account that's messed up big time.

Just an update.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

Sounds as if the machine might be infected.
To backup you data, you could opt to boot from live media and copy all that you hold dear to an external source (USB hard drive, thumb drive, etc.). What I usually use is Lucid Puppy for this kind of tomfoolery. Download the .ISO (MD5 Checksum: f04ec9ef3540be8e50d0a24c512e1309) and burn the image to disk or create a bootable flash drive. Boot from the live media and browse the contents of your machine.
It may be worth noting that if the machine is infected, it may carry over to the copied material.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users