Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I resolve Save and Open Errors in Office applications?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 landen99

landen99

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

How do I resolve Save and Open Errors in Office applications?
The short version of this issue is that whenever I try to open or save in either MS Office 2007 or Open Office on a Win7 x64 system, I get the following errors:
'C:\' is currently unavailable.
OR
::{031E4825- ... }Documents.library-ms\ refers to a location that is unavailable.

Here is what I think may have caused it, but I don't understand any of the mechanics:
I mounted an eSata drive and found many My documents type folders from my local drive somehow appearing on this drive as well. My anti-virus appeared to also scan my local drive in those places when it was told to scan the eSata drive. 7-zip seemed to also zip the local information together with the eSata data when the forders (links?) to the local My Documents folders were also selected. They seemed to be links, so I deleted them (without holding the shift key). I can not seen any evidence of them in the Recycle Bin at this time. After unmounting the drive, I navigated to My documents, etc. on the local drive and found everything as it should be. After launching MS Office (or Open Office), I found that when I saved, the system lagged for a bit and then brought up a save dialog window with only the top and bottom portion (no contents or shortcuts shown). Clicking cancel terminates MS Office, but not Open Office. MS Office seemed to function fine with the open dialog box but Open Office did not. Clicking to navigate to other urls in the dialog box url bar produces the error messages above. What is going on and how do I fix this problem? Do I need to reconstruct the links or "junctions" or whatever they were?

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2011 - 03:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Monty007

Monty007

  • Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

So you are you running two Office programs? It would be a conflic between the two programs.

Edited by Monty007, 23 September 2011 - 08:48 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 landen99

landen99
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

So you are you running two Office programs? It would be a conflic between the two programs.

Anti-virus programs conflict. Office programs do not.

Here is my resolution:
I tried many things to resolve this. My final resolution, while effectively resolving the problem, proved to be quite brutal. The resolution first: A Win 7 x64 SP1 iso was burned and run with the "Upgrade" option to resolve the following issue(s): This Win 7 x64 SP1 (8Gb RAM) was experiencing issues with saving and opening, blue screens, .NET framework errors, failure of some applications to launch or crash for no reason, and failure of sfc /scannow under Administrator command prompt to completely successfully despite half a dozen attempts with reboots and scandisk runs between.

All programs appear to run normally as before. The only error which persisted was a BSOD at random times. I scheduled a checkdisk on both of my hard drives (the second is technically a RAID array) and errors were found and corrected. I am hoping that check disk frees me from the BSOD's because I am not seeing any anymore.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users