Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Goes Red Then Blank, Suspected Video Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 NightTrain87

NightTrain87

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hi guys, im losing my mind trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer.

I have a custom built system running 2 Radeon 5800 series video cards(they are slightly different from each other), which was originally intended to run 6 monitors using eyefinity technology. I broke up the monitors a while back b/c of space issues, and am currently using only 1 monitor, and having issues.

A while back i had a couple times where the monitor would flash odd colours for 5-15 seconds, then a warning popped up saying my video card had crashed and recovered, and the system worked fine for a while. I have also had a couple occasions where my computer shutdown with a blue screen(quite a while apart), but i dont recall what the error message on it was.

The most recent issue started a couple days ago, after i moved. I set the system up and plugged in the monitor, and everything started up fine. After a few minutes however, the monitor went blank. The fans and lights in the the computer stayed on, and music kept playing, but i could not see anything but a dark grey/light black screen(not the black like when its off, but a more lighted one) I checked all the connections to make sure everything is tight, and it was. I had to turn the power off, and then on again, and i had the same problem. After a few times of this happening, it got to a point where the computer would only get as far as the initial load, before the login screen, before going blank(once again the fans and lights stayed on).

I kept shutting the power off and back on again, and one time the computer attempted to run startup repair, but failed. I gave up and went to watch hockey, and came back a few hours later to try again, and for whatever reason the computer booted up fine, only for the monitor to once again go blank after a few minutes. This was yesterday. This morning i fired up the computer, and it started and ran no problem for over 3 hours, while i was using it and running a number of programs. It seemed like the problem had somehow gone away(yea right, lol), but after about 4 hours, the screen flashed bright red for a second, before once again going blank. Once again the computer stayed on, and music continued to play(it stopped when the screen went red but came back shortly), but i could not get the screen to come back on.

If anyone has the time to read this novel and the knowledge and patience to help, i would greatly appreciated any thoughts or advice. Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Mick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users