Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This post has been edited by hamluis: 15 September 2011 - 10:27 AM Reason for edit: Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sisterrita

sisterrita

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic400074.html

I first posted this in Windows XP Home & professional, it was moved to this section Sept 15th. I have not heard anything since then.

This post has been edited by hamluis: 15 September 2011 - 10:27 AM
Reason for edit: Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

I am using my laptop to contact you because I cannot connect to the internet at all on my desktop. I was running scan this AM, during scan screen went blank (totally white) since then I cannot connect to internet. I get the following:

Server Not Found

Firefox cannot find the server at www.(any page i try to connect load)

Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of www.example.com

If you are unable to load any pages check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I cannot get to any of my anti-virus software, I cannot find any of the logs, nothing. I am running Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service pack 3.

I have checked Device Manager; under System Devices and;
Direct memory Access controller
High Precision event timer
Intel® 82802 Firmware Hub Device
Intel ® ICH9 Family SMBus Controller 2030
ISAPN Read Data port
Motherboard Resources
Programmable interrupt controller
System board properties

all say: No drivers Installed. Under details: no drivers required or have been loaded.

Looked under LAN or High speed Internet
under General it shows connected. Under Support all these are blank:
IP Address
Subnet Mast
Default Gateway

when I click repair I get message: could not repair because Failed to query TCP/IP settings. Cannot proceed. Contact person who manages your computer. (that would be me)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hello, let's see if this fixes things,

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

EDIT:
May as well run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Edited by boopme, 21 September 2011 - 02:43 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thank you for responding so quickly. did as you instructed:

did the netsh winsock reset, enter. did not work.

when I entered:

netsh interface ipv4 reset

netsh interface ipv6 reset

got message "command not found" for both of them.

when I enter:
ipconfig/flushdns
after I hit enter next line comes up:
Windows IP configuration.

did reboot after each attempt and still cannot access internet.

So I can't run MBAM because I cannot access internet.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking?

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

OR
Let's try a going back to a date before all this started and see if we connect,then scan.

Windows XP System Restore Guide
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

started in safemode with networking, did the following:

1. Start, Run cmd
2. typed in netsh winsock reset, enter.

message recd:
sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart in order to complete the reset.

3. restarted, in safe mode with networking and regular start up still getting message:
Server not found

4. cannot get to System Restore. When I click it to open nothing happens. System Restore is on, if I click the Turn off box I get the message:
if you continue and turn off system restore all restore points will be deleted and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer. Do you still wish to turn off system restore? yes / no

Edited by sisterrita, 21 September 2011 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users