Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

broken CD/DVD burner drive can't open

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

My computer is 6 yrs old I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't bother to repair the broken drive. For now I want to use a Samsung portable drive instead. The problem is I can't get my computer to recognize the portable drive. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and its a Hewlett Packard, HP Pavilion a1606n The external DVD writer is Samsung Model SE - S084D. So how can I get my computer to recognize it so I can burn CDs and DVDs etc?
I was able to do it for a few CD copies, but very hard...and usually when I try the computer just does NOT see recognize the drive.
Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

CD drives are cheap these days, 40 bucks or so.
I would replace the drive if I were you. Just make sure you have the right connector type.
It is either IDE or SATA. If you open the case and it has a grey data cable about three inches wide it is IDE
Given the age of the system I am guessing that is what type it is.

To open the existing drive get a large paperclip and straighten it out as best as you can.
There is a small hole on the front of the drive that is the emervency eject.
Turn the system off. Then slide the paperclip inside the hole until you feel resistance then push.
It should open the drive.

Turn the system on & see if the drive will open & close then.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

has the inside of the case been cleaned in those 6 years?

#4 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

I've been working a lot and I don't really have time now to try to take my computer apart and change out the DVD drive. I really want to know why my computer won't recognize the Samsung CD drive that I can attack via the USB. Can somebody please tell me how to get my HP Computer to recognize this CD/DVD portable drive? IF a computer won't recognize a portable CD/DVD burner drive, then what good are they? There must be a simple way to get my computer to recognize and see the drive.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Does the drive work on another system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yes I can hook up my samsung CD/DVD portable drive to my netbook no problem, but my HP a1606n doesn't recognize it. My Netbook (Windows 7 STarter) does NOT have a drive and I hook it up to two USB ports. So I am assuming something in my HP windows computer (Windows XP) is telling it that the CD/DVD drive is the E drive...which is broken and doesn't work...Once I did manage to get it to be recognized and managed to burn 15 CDs...but haven't been able to since. I don't know what I could have done differently that time but I fought with the computer for a long time and once time it allowed me to select that drive...ONe thing with the XP computer is that I have more USB ports that I can connect it to so those can change any time I connect it...I wonder if I need to download some kind of driver?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

telling it that the CD/DVD drive is the E drive...which is broken and doesn't work...

Hi -

Is the old CD unit disconnected now ? ?
If it is then click on Start > My Computer and see if there is any CD drives (old or new) noted there.

Your new one should be seen as Drive D, E, or even G. The old one if still connected will (should) still show as Drive D.

Mine is showing the CD/DVD drive as D, and my wireless internet as E, so you may even have a G or H drive showing there -

Regards-
EDIT - I even have a drive J listed from an old plug in removable drive, that is no longer there -

Edited by noknojon, 30 September 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#8 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

Thanks, not trying now...little time...but...when I did try, only the E drive showed and the E drive was broken...no other drives seemed to show up. When I have time I will try again. Been working a new job so a lot less time these days. Basically I can't get anything off my computer or burn any CDs right now and it's annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users