Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proxy Servers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hello, :thumbsup:
Im sorry if this is not the right forum but could see anything better, either Windows XP or Internet Forums. I choosed this anyway I wanted to know what a Proxy Server is and purpose of having one? From after my newb research I came to the conclusion that it was a advanced firewall but after searching Wikipedia a average person can install on for free!! So just to be sure I want to know what a Proxy Server is and what it does?

Thank You in Advanced
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEEDUB2

TEEDUB2

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Hi Professional,

I could put it in my words but it probably wouldn't make sense........
According to Webopedia.com here is the definition:

PROXY SERVER

A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server.

Proxy servers have two main purposes:
#1 Improve Performance: Proxy servers can dramatically improve performance for groups of users. This is because it saves the results of all requests for a certain amount of time. Consider the case where both user X and user Y access the World Wide Web through a proxy server. First user X requests a certain Web page, which we'll call Page 1. Sometime later, user Y requests the same page. Instead of forwarding the request to the Web server where Page 1 resides, which can be a time-consuming operation, the proxy server simply returns the Page 1 that it already fetched for user X. Since the proxy server is often on the same network as the user, this is a much faster operation. Real proxy servers support hundreds or thousands of users. The major online services such as Compuserve and America Online, for example, employ an array of proxy servers.
#2 Filter Requests: Proxy servers can also be used to filter requests. For example, a company might use a proxy server to prevent its employees from accessing a specific set of Web sites.

Hope this helps

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

A proxy server has nothing to do with firewalls or security at all, it is a computer (or part of a computer) which helps the internet to function, and usually speeds up your browsing. To give an example: in a school computer lab there are 50 computers. The teacher tells everyone to go to a movie site and download part of the soundtrack for an English assignment. Without a proxy server 50 identical requests go out on the schools broadband connection to the movie site. 15 minutes later people are still trying to download the soundtrack.
With a proxy server in the school, the download requests are intercepted, one request is sent to the movie site and downloaded to the proxy server. All the other requests are loaded, at network speed, from the proxy server.
In this example the proxy server has reduced the amount of internet traffic by a factor of 50 and allowed the 50 computers in the lab to download in (close to) the same time as it would take one computer. All large organisations will benefit from a proxy server, all ISPs have them and in some cases even individuals (single PCs) use them - this is how some browser accelerators work, they use (steal?) some of your hard drive space and download everything in your favourites or most recently used list to a mini proxy-server there. When you pull up your favourite web page it comes up really fast, because it hasn't come over the internet at all - it's already on your hard drive.
hth :thumbsup:

EDIT: I forgot about the filtering function which I see TEEDUB2 has explained.

Edited by Rimmer, 22 January 2006 - 10:07 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

I always wondered how this worked! Thanks for the info Rimmer!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Thank You very much Rimmer and TEEDUB2! Explained it in words I could understand. I have two computers on network. Well a D-Link Wireless Router. Should I get a Proxy Software? Or is it a waste of time due to the only two computers. But both computers have heavy usage and downloads.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users