Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technological Idiot at a Loss

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fredweasley

fredweasley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

I am not a computer person, so forgive me if I don't use the lingo properly. This post is about my laptop, which uses Windows XP and Internet Explorer. I'm pretty sure it's infected, but I have run both Malwarebytes (premium) and Antispyware (free) and they come back clean. Symptoms are: (1) the computer makes the annoying beeping noise that accompanies a blocked popup at least once every 30 seconds even though I haven't tried to go to another site or access something that would trigger the popup blocker; (2) every once in a while, I get the discordant error noise the computer makes for an unauthorized action even though I am not doing anything error-worthy at the time; (3) the computer is hideously slow to start-up and shut-down and frequently freezes when I am on the Internet; (4) when I search sites on Google or some other search engine, I get a results page just fine, but if I click on one of the results, it doesn't go to the site I am trying to access, but instead hijacks me to another site with advertising (I DON'T NEED A FUTON!); and (5) when the computer freezes and I go to Task Manager, it sometimes shows multiple entries for Internet Explorer, even though the task bar shows that only one Internet Explorer window is open (fyi, to the extent it makes any difference, I sometimes try to start Internet Explorer multiple times (again, because the computer is so freaking slow), so I may be opening Internet Explorer in other windows, but I am not sure why I would only see that Internet Explorer is open elsewhere when I access Task Manager). Anyway, please help if you can!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi fredweasley,

Let's take a few scans of your machine and get a little better look at what's going on.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:

* Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
* Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.

* Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
* Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
* Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
* Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
Posted Image

* GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
* If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
* Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
* When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
* Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
* Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.

-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

SAS, may take a long time to scan
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free

• Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
  • First

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:

• Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Please post the logs to each when you have completed them.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users