Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer can't find HDD, not sure if drivers or HD at fault.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

Hey,
after my PSU burned out a week ago I bought a new one (Raidmax RX-530ss) and installed it. The computer boots up fine but does not want to recognise the hard drive. It is a 160GB Western Digital drive. Basically, the computer automatically tries to boot from a disc. When I put in the WinXP install disc, Setup cannot find any hard drives. I read around and found this is probably because I am missing SATA drivers.
This was never a problem before my PSU broke but it seemed the most likely route to go down. I don't have a floppy drive nor a floppy with the drivers on it, so the only thing I could do was slipstream the drivers of my mobo onto a copy of the windows install disc. However, when I go into setup and press F6, it prompts me to press S to install 3rd party drivers, which I do, and then tells me to put the floppy with the drivers into drive A. Pressing enter just loops me back to the same screen. I may have put the wrong driver file onto the disc, but I have no idea how the disc is supposed to imitate a floppy because every website gives instructions up until burning the disc and then just says 'put the CD in'!
I get the feeling the hard drive is stuffed. It seems strange that my SATA drivers would suddenly vanish. ALso, When I put the Gigabyte driver CD in, all I got was the option to perform an XpressRecovery, but XpressRecovery can't find the HDD either!
The BIOS, however, recognises the hard drive fine. I have no idea what to do. Is taking the machine to a technician the best option? Thanks in advance BC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:10 AM

Oh, also, I installed 2gb of ram at the same time. I took it out and tried rebooting it but to no avail. I am running on XP SP3, my mobo is a gigabyte m61pme-s2p, and I have tried switching which plug the SATA cable plugs into.

#3 Bakairo

Bakairo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

I've got this problem with an old 1TB Samsung i recently replaced, running tests showed the drive itself was fine (when it could be seen) so iv got a theory that maybe it could be the connectors on the back of the HDD, i say this and NOT sata cables because i tested about 5 different cables on the same HDD with the same result. The drivers are for your OS if i'm not mistaken, if your motherboard cant see the HDD then it's likely a hardware issue. Don't take this as gospel, I just thought i might be able to help in some way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users