Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Over With Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 POUYE

POUYE

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

I have a windows xp laptop that has a full hard drive. I bought an external (USB 2) hard drive and I would like to copy the entire contents (External HD is much bigger), or "clone" my C Drive onto the external drive, and then reformat my laptop drive.

Here is what I'm thinking. It doesn't seem to me that I can copy the entire laptop (C Drive) onto my external drive (I'll just call it E) while I'm actually running windows, since some of the files would be in use. So I made an MS-Dos boot disk (floppy disk in drive A). I changed the boot sequence in the bios, but when I boot with the floppy (A drive), I cannot access drive C. I'm not sure how to get the dos commands I need so I can access drive C.

I'm thinking of using dos commands to copy my entire C drive to my E drive (which should work), but I'm not sure about disk partitions, etc.

The end goal for me is this: I would like to be able to boot up using a "clone" of my C drive on my external drive E, so I can still have access to everything on my C Drive for a while (like email, etc.). This is so I can wipe out my C drive and start over without interrupting my work.

Maybe I'm going down the wrong trail? Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Rock

Edited by POUYE, 22 January 2006 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

No you are on the right track for what you want to do. You need drive imaging software like Ghost. I normally recommend Digital Dolly because it is freeware but I have been in formed it does not work with USB drives. Before you do this you need to know if your computer supports USB booting. Check the boot order in your BIOS. If it does not you will be able to make an image but not restore it if you cannot Boot to your USB drive.
There is another option. If your external drive is the same phsyical size as the drive in your notebook, you can image an then swap drives. Put the larger drive inside your notebook and use the smaller one for your external case.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

I don't think you can use a USB drive as the boot drive.

You can get a new internal hard drive and use the manufacturer's software that comes with it to migrate your op system and data to it and then use it to replace the master drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

You can boot with a USB drive. You can't run Windows from a USB drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users