Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get windows to stop telling me I have updates.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bigoz

bigoz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

I have updated my XP-Pro. windows numerous times and I still get warnings that I have to update. Then I get a notice that some of the updates didn't get accepted. What's with this??? Is there some key in my OS that I need to turn on or off?? It is really starting to aggravate me when the the little balloon pops up telling me I'm not up to date. Thanks. Big Oz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

I have updated my XP-Pro

What do you mean updated? The OS or Windows updates? There are updates that are required/necessary to install while there are also optional updates that sometimes come with any currently available updates. This feature I think is more evident on Vista and Win 7.If you want to hide the security alert warnings :
1.Right-click your Taskbar and choose Properties
2.On the Taskbar tab, click Customize...
3.On the Current/Past items, look for the balloon icon and click to highlight.
4.Hide when inactive, Always Hide, Always Show are your choices then click Ok.
5.Make sure to hit Apply.
Do not TURN OFF your Windows Update as a last suggestion. This can be configured by your Control Panel, Automatic Updates.

Tekken

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

The updates are failing. Can you tell us which update(s) this is happening with?

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Also, check that your date (year too) and time are correct. Win update won't work it it's too far off.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 bigoz

bigoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

It seems to be only the microsoft.net updates. 3 total. All for framework 3.5. 2 for SP-1,security and windows server and 1 for security for SP-2. None of these updates will take on my machine. I then get a notice to notify MS about the problem, but they still tell me that I need to update everyday with their little baloon at the bottom of the screen. I think I will just follow the advice and turn this off. Thanks. Unless I am not turning some "switch" on so that MS can get the update to me and it takes. Big Oz

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

Post the KB code errors for it might need you to download and install them manually by the microsoft link or website.

Tekken

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

That's a common problem for .NET Framework updates. I do not recommend disabling these updates. You are then vulnerable to security exploits.

First of all, do you need any .NET Frameworks or did you just install them for whatever reason?

What are the KB# of the failing updates and which .NET Frameworks do you have installed? You can check the versions you have installed by going into Add-Remove Programs

Edited by .X., 21 September 2011 - 10:52 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

Hi , just an extra to all the good above information -

Generally not a good idea but ,,, Try to install the updates offered with ALL security turned OFF -
This is always the last option, but a simple M/soft firewall can prevent an update from installing at times.

I just reinstalled my Win 7 and the only reason that the updates would not install was due to my security blocking it.
This included the windows firewall as well as the antivirus program, as they both thought the updates were invasions.

I take it from the post that you will have XP latest SP already installed (required for updates), if not this is the first step to take.

Thank You -

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

When this happens, I usually uninstall all net framework versions with the net framework cleanup tool, then install them in order, doing updates on each as I go.
I'm not sure if you need to have the early versions? but I put them all in anyway.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

I had the same problem last year and uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework that could be uninstalled. But I did not reinstall them and have had no issues. It got rid of the update notices.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:03 AM

When this happens, I usually uninstall all net framework versions with the net framework cleanup tool, then install them in order, doing updates on each as I go.
I'm not sure if you need to have the early versions? but I put them all in anyway.

Hi Frank O' The Mountain -
Just a side note, I'm sure you need to install each of the earlier .NET items, or the later ones will not install -

Regards -

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Downloading the offline installers from MS and running the updates may help.... :crazy:

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hi Frank O' The Mountain -
Just a side note, I'm sure you need to install each of the earlier .NET items, or the later ones will not install -

Regards -

That's not true. Different apps require different versions of .NET Framework. Whether it's a newer or older version isn't relevant. I think what happens is users install apps that require .NET Framework and when the app is uninstalled, .NET Framework is left behind.

#14 bigoz

bigoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

There were a lot more not being updated than I thought. I did shutdown the firewall and tried to update but they still came back as update errors.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416473)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2539631)
Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)
These are the ones I am talking about, thanks again.

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall all versions of .NET Framework. If a version of the program is in use, you will not be able to uninstall it. You will be told that. That's fine. Leave it alone. Afterwards, use the cleanup tool at the link below. I did not reinstall any of the versions and version 3.5 is the only version I have right now. You may not need any of them. It's not an essential program. It's only used in partnership with other programs. The update notices should disappear when you are finished.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users