Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Wifi 1392 connection problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 williamvincent

williamvincent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

i Have had this computer stored away for a number of years it had never been used until about 3 months ago.

About 5 days ago the screen started to freeze. this happened a couple of times no big deal
but 3 days ago i was surfing on the internet using the internal WIFI that came with the PC i left my screen for 10 minutes came back screen had frozen
again. shut the computer down restarted. internet connection disappeared. There was no icon in the bottom right hand corner saying a wifi connection was even available.

i tried to do a system restore, went through the process. computer said restore failed try an ealier restore. i tired an earlier restore and got the same error message.unable to do restore???

so i decided to do a complete reinstallation as this pc guides you through the reinstall to factory settings.

i returned the PC back to its original state and still WIFI is dead still no icon in the bottom left corner allowing you to see what network is available.
i tried to uninstall 1392 connection and reinstall still no luck driver says it is working ok

i have since used a linksys usb wifi connector and that connected to the internet. i am also at this moment using the LAN connection and have perfect internet access. Problem here is the modem is in the living room pc needs to be in the office upstairs.
on the back of the pc where the WIFI ariel connects to the pc tehre are 2 green led lights both are not working.

is there anyone who can assist with this please???? thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

You probably are referring to diagnostic lights found along the PC ports. Is this a Dell system and what model? Depending on how those light indicators are displayed, either the first 2 are on and other 2 are off, a documentation is mostly available if you could provide the brand/model of your computer. Certain documentation like this-> Diagnostic lights

Tekken

#3 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

hi jhayz
this pc is a Hewlett packard
model number M7480 uk

please see below for everything this pc comes with
as you may be able to tell i am not great with pcs
thanks for your help

Product number
EV991AA
Introduction date
03-May-2006
Country/region sold in:

United Kingdom

Hardware
Base processor
PentiumD 940 (P) DC 3.2 GHz

800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

Chipset
Intel 945P
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Emery-UL8E

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 2 GB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Hard drive

360 GB (1 x 200, 1 x 160) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
7200 rpm

HP Personal Media Drive

300 GB
7200 RPM

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

Port type Quantity
DVD-R DL Write Once 4X
DVD+R DL Write Once 2.4X
DVD+R Write Once 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable 4X
DVD-R Write Once 8X
DVD-RW Rewritable 4X
DVD ROM Read 16X
CD-R Write Once 40X
CD-RW Rewritable 24X
CD-ROM Read 40X
Wireless
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
Video Graphics
GeForce 7600GS

512 MB DDR memory
I/O Ports: S-Video, DVI-I, DVI-I

Television
TV tuner card with FM tuner
Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio

Realtek ALC 882 chipset
Supports up to 8 audio channels
Dolby Pro Logic II compatible

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader

Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
MultiMediaCard
Secure Digital (SD)
Micro Drive
XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)

External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
9-in-1 (4 slot) One
1394 One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One
Audio L-R One
S-video in One
Composite video in One
I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
Parallel One
USB Four
1394 One
LAN One
SPDIF out (coaxial) One
SPDIF in One
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone) One Each
Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (None available)
Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25" external Two (One available)
3.5" internal Two (None available)
Personal Media Drive One (None available)
Keyboard and mouse

HP wireless keyboard
HP premium wireless mouse

Remote Control
USB infrared remote and receiver

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

If this is a desktop, mostly they are wired connections by design and more stable. But since you want to use a wifi network to access the net by using an add-on network card or usb adapter, make sure they have the correct drivers installed. Any freezes from wifi connection could usually be a faulty device or a conflict from other programs usually protection softwares, settings or changes or a virus infection. Try booting to safemode with networking and see if it freezes. You forgot to post on what OS you have and browsers you are using. Post also your protection softwares installed for a clearer picture.

Tekken

#5 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

hi
was doing some cleaning up on the computer last night with malware and super antispyware.
turnt computer on this morning no wirelss internet connection. turnt back on this afternoon and lo in the bottom right hand corner wireless connection icon with wireless connection available.
tried and reconnected as i write this. opening network connection settings there is teh icon for the wireless lan connection(2)
it was not and has not been there for some days but now it is back and is working again.

if anyone has any ideas what hs happenend to my PC i would be welcome to hear your thoughts as this is a bit bizarre!!!
but thank you to those who have contacted with help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users