Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS P8P67 EVO No Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 healing

healing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm upgrading from an ASUS P5Q-EM, intel quad core Q8400 with 8gb ram OCZP8002g (DDR2 800) to a ASUS P8P67 EVO, i7 2600k, corsair 1600 ddr3, 16gb. Did a Breadboard setup with only memory, cpu, gpu, kb/mouse and hdd. No post. Cpu light looks fine, no memory light error. I tried switching each module and putting one at a time in the A1 position. I have 4gb corsair 1600 modules (x4). Everything is new except gpu, which works in my old asus system still.

I used the 4 pin atx power too, there is one 8 pin setup on this mb, so i used two of the 4 pin connectors from my coolermaster psu. everything spins but monitor shows no signal still. It turns on, then off for two seconds then back on again. no beeps. perplexing, think it may just be a bad mb. Since i got it online, i'm thinking it's probably wise to return all 3 components (cpu core i7 2600k, memory and mb) since I can't rule out any one item being bad. Can't test them in my old system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Did you double check CPU compatibility with the BIOS installed on the board?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 healing

healing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Did you double check CPU compatibility with the BIOS installed on the board?

Not sure I follow how to do that. I got CPU, RAM and MB together as a matched unit (all parts are compatible, according to manufacturer and specifications). I made sure that other people had purchased the exact same parts and they worked together for them. I can't be sure, but I have never had bad memory or cpu ever (been building my own pc's since they came out), but haven't always kept up with the latest technology on the horizon. But I do, do my diligent homework before I make a purchase so it's very rare that something doesn't work out.

I've only had one other board bad before (a MSI) and have been going with ASUS the few past times with no problems. This one is just not gelling though. I think I might go to Fry's and get another board (so I can rule out the cpu and memory) and if it works, then return just the MB to Amazon. I was thinking about the Gigabyte 268x that other people have been mentioning, not as many bells and whistles, man the ASUS is a beauty and has that cool reset and power on buttons on the board. But if it doesn't fire up, then it's all for naught, and I would like to have my system up as soon as I can. Thanks for the tips!

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

I didnt realize you had bought it as a combo. What I was referring to was every motherboard comes with a BIOS (its a basic OS built into your motherboard) installed, and CPUs are often installed later on that arent compatible with that particular BIOS version, however, motherboard manufacturers release newer BIOS versions that allow that board to run the new CPU. That one requires version 0804 or newer, but i believe 0804 was the base version, so that is not your problem. One would think that you would be getting a memory error if the memory was faulty-which in my mind leaves the CPU or motherboard, with the motherboard being my first guess, while its not unheard of to get a faulty CPU, motherboards are far more likely to fail. That CPU does require the 8 pin CPU connector from the PSU as well as the 24 pin so make sure theyre all pluggged in correctly.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 healing

healing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

I didnt realize you had bought it as a combo. What I was referring to was every motherboard comes with a BIOS (its a basic OS built into your motherboard) installed, and CPUs are often installed later on that arent compatible with that particular BIOS version, however, motherboard manufacturers release newer BIOS versions that allow that board to run the new CPU. That one requires version 0804 or newer, but i believe 0804 was the base version, so that is not your problem. One would think that you would be getting a memory error if the memory was faulty-which in my mind leaves the CPU or motherboard, with the motherboard being my first guess, while its not unheard of to get a faulty CPU, motherboards are far more likely to fail. That CPU does require the 8 pin CPU connector from the PSU as well as the 24 pin so make sure theyre all pluggged in correctly.

Thanks Patriot11, that's what I'm thinking too. Since the cpu is properly matched and easily fits into the cpu socket, i've reseated it a few times, with no error light, it would have to be a real finicky board. I appreciate your help on this and other great bios tips too. I can't even get to bios on this one though. Going to try and get a motherboard from a local retailer and if it works, then I know what the problem is. If not, then it may just be the cpu, but as you said I highly doubt it. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users