Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to protect my laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXbernisXx

xXbernisXx

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

hi i just purchased this new laptop dell studio 15 and i would like to know what is a good free antivirus you guys recommend me, something that doesnt use a lot of my virtual memory.. and some good antispyware, to keep my pc clean and effectively running. would be highly apreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

1) Best free AV's are Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira and Avast
2) MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware and SpywareBlaster for malware
3) NOTHING is more important than smart computing (don't open links in emails unless you are certain you know what they are, don't download anything unless you are 100% certain it is safe, don't visit questionable sites,etc.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Take a look at our very own quietman7's excellent overview here: Answers to common security questions Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Animal - wasn't aware of quietman7's post. Will use it from now on.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

1) Best free AV's are Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira and Avast
2) MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware and SpywareBlaster for malware
3) NOTHING is more important than smart computing (don't open links in emails unless you are certain you know what they are, don't download anything unless you are 100% certain it is safe, don't visit questionable sites,etc.

With reference to #3 just because you get a email from someone you know does not mean it is safe. If your friends computer gets a virus that sends itself out via email you will get a email allegedly from your friend that has the virus attached.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

After you installed and configured your new laptop, I suggest you make a full backup of your laptop. This way, if you ever get infected (or have another problem), you can always restore your laptop to a pristine state.

It's even better if you would take backups regularly, but even if you do this, keep that initial backup.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users