Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CDs won't play but can see contents in XP.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.KC

Mr.KC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am trying to open a CD to install some software for my printer. I insert the CD into the drive and it does not autorun. But that's not really the main problem (I've already gone to the registry to make sure that Autorun was activated, yes but it still doesn't work). From 'My Computer' I can see that the drive has read the CD and if I double click the drive I'm able to see all of the files on the CD. So I know that the drive itself isn't broken. I've also updated the drivers on the drive so that isn't the problem either. I tried to click the .exe program on the CD to get it to run that way and nothing happens. I can't figure it out. I've even tried a few other CD's to see if it was just this particular CD but none of them run. I can see the files on all of the CD's, I just can't get any of the .exe files to run. Can anyone tell my why this is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hi Mr.KC -

Insert the CD, Right click on the CD drive, Then click on the Setup file if you see it, and then see what happens -
Some times a CD will not Autorun, and needs a prompt, or a manual start to run.
Do you have an item in Programs yet, if not then it has not actually loaded and installed the files fully.

Thank You -

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I would install a different CD or DVD drive. Can you copy the files off of the CD to your desktop?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 Mr.KC

Mr.KC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

If I right click on the drive, it doesn't give me the option for Setup. I can drag the .exe file to the desktop and it appears to make a copy on my desktop but when I click on the file it does nothing.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

You may have a bad cdrom drive.
It might help to use a cleaning kit on it. You can get them at a local dollar store sometimes for under 10 bucks.
It is worth a try.

As far as your printer, if you need the drivers you can go to the manufacturers website or post the make/model here & we can link you to them.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Mr.KC

Mr.KC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, I may have an old cleaner disc around somewhere.

I'm looking to install the HP Toolbox for an HP Color Laserjet 2840. I used to be able to fax via the computer, but for some reason I can't anymore and I noticed that the HP Toolbox is missing so I thought that might be it.

#7 Mr.KC

Mr.KC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

I couldn't find a cleaning kit, I thought I had one. But, what I find odd, is that I can put the CD in, and look at all the files on the CD. If there's a .pdf or .jpg, I can open those just fine. But anything with .exe won't do anything. So can it really be a bad drive if I can view all files except for the .exe files?

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

Like "eyesee" said, go to the HP support site and download the install package for your printer/fax. It's easy. The CD drive thing is bizarre, and it is hard to determine the cause without some troubleshooting. The easiest way to tell is by replacing the CD drive. They are cheap, or usually laying around doing nothing somewhere. Only thing to watch for is the jumper setting on the back. Make sure it is set the same as your old one. (slave, master, Cable Select, etc). This way you can tell if it's the drive that's crazy, or the windows installation.

Can you run the disc on another PC? (you can cancel it once it starts).

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 12 October 2011 - 12:41 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users