Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Memory?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

Macbook pro 17" purchased Aug 2010 running 10.6.8

My Word for mac 2011 has started crashing a lot. Also it's very slow about doing some things - like when I press control + a to select all. Finder also closes itself when I'm running word.

I have 4 GB memory - 2 GB in bank 0 and 2GB bank 1. Does bank = slot? If I want to go to 8 GB I'd have to buy all new memory correct? Was the 2GB in each bank done because that's the best way or so I'd have to buy 8 GB instead of 4 if I upgraded?

1GB is dedicated to running my virtual machine - so I only have 3 gb for running the mac os and mac programs.

I'm not sure adding memory will help word. Back in my pc days I would supposedly have more than adequate RAM and word was always crashing. Is there any info I can glean from Activity Monitor or a utility that will indicate whether adding memory will help?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

From a quick google search it seems your not the only one with Word crashing on a Mac. Try updating all software.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Mac OS X: How to View Memory Usage With the "top" Utility

#3 gixxer1300r

gixxer1300r

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Try going to the disk utility and run repair permission, then reboot. I have fixed many crashes doing this.

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Buddyme2 and gixxer1300r

I've been keeping mac os and Word updated and I repair permissions every time I back up w/ Superduper. Since the update before last Word now only quits w/ a forced quit even when it doesn't crash during a session. W/ Word 2k and Winxp my experience was the more updates [the majority of which were security updates] the more problems. Word updates never noticeably helped it run better on either os. Word for mac may just not work well and adding memory may not help. Unfortunately Word has capabilities I use a lot that Pages and NeoOffice don't.

I'm thinking I should try cleaning the cache files - I plan to run applejack after I read my notes again. Somewhere I read about a troubleshooting protocol w/ cache files and plists. Should I run repair disks or does one only do that when there are specific symptoms? One article recommended not running validate preference files - is that just a time consideration or a potential problem consideration?

Thanks for the info links. On my pc's according to the pc version of activity monitor my swap file usage was always 0. According to activity monitor today w/ Word and Firefox running w/ multiple tabs/docs my Page out was 82.7 mb and swap used was 26.0 mb. That doesn't seem like much, but how often writes are made to the hard disk may be more important. If I understand any of the articles I've read on memory use. I don't understand why the page out is larger than the swap used, for one thing.

I've just been typing this and Pages Out went up to 288.5 MB, swap used 524.6MB w/ a VM size of 132.29 GB and 322gb used system memory. Top shows MS Wo is using 157M RAM [Rsize]. Vsize is 1,451M. There's also a MS AU using about 1 MB Ram w/ a Vsize of 892M. Top shows 58490 Page Outs and 435090 Page Ins. There's 3362 used physical memory w/ 469M inactive and 603M free. I don't know what to do w/ these numbers.

I'm going to quit word and recheck activity monitor and top and then close down Firefox and do the same and get a baseline next time I reboot. According to activity monitor Word, Firefox, Finder, kernel-task and Window Server are the largest real mem users.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users