Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 9 won't start

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Frank14612

Frank14612

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

When I try to start up Internet Explorer I get a blank IE window and a popup message that says "Internet Explorer has stopped working." Firefox works, however, and with the assistance of the IE Tab add-on, I'm able to use the IE engine from within FF.

Here is a screenshot of the window and full error message: http://gyazo.com/67f28b84c99fc34dce1e4e6b024b73e1 .

I tried reinstalling and repairing IE, but nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Frank14612

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hi Frank -

Do you mind telling us where you got the IE9. As an update from M/soft or a specific download ?
Is there any message that actually shows after this shot ?

Just an extra - Try this and IE8 should reinstall , then you can update to 9 later if you wish.
Did you search on "uninstall IE9"?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 21 September 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#3 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi Frank -

Do you mind telling us where you got the IE9. As an update from M/soft or a specific download ?

Thanks for the reply, jon. Actually it came with the purchased installation disc.

Is there any message that actually shows after this shot ?

No, that's all the system does. Displays that message and then leaves me hanging with nowhere to go.

Just an extra - Try this and IE8 should reinstall, then you can update to 9 later if you wish.
Did you search on "uninstall IE9"?

No, but I will.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

Thank You -

Thank you.

Frank

#4 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Jon,

Per instructions I uninstalled IE9 and rebooted. I assumed that the previous version, IE8, would be in place, but it was not. IE would not run.

I then downloaded and installed IE9 as instructed and rebooted. The same message -- exactly the same in every respect ( http://gyazo.com/67f28b84c99fc34dce1e4e6b024b73e1 ) as before -- reappeared. In effect I've made no progress.

I've already run the system file checker (sfc /scannow) with no problems being reported as found or fixed.

Hmm, this is Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit, newly installed, and its flagship product IE9 doesn't work, with no options offered for fixing it. If I wasn't using Firefox or Opera, how would I expect to surf the Web? I wonder what is at work or is missing here. :huh:

Frank

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Did it work before or has it always been behaving since the first day you installed IE9?

Tekken

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

I assumed that the previous version, IE8, would be in place, but it was not. IE would not run.

Hi again -
Just adding to jhayz -
I had several problems with IE9 and that worked for me. You will (should) have IE8 still there as Internet Explorer is a part of Windows itself.

As above, has IE ever worked normally and do you have a full version of Microsoft Windows7.

I tried reinstalling and repairing IE, but nothing works.

What steps have you already taken prior to posting here ? ?

Can (do) you get normal updates from M/soft, make sure updates, in control panel, are set to get all updates automatically.
IE9, and any required security update, is included as part of setup for Win7.

Thank You -

#7 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

I'll try to answer all your questions in one go.

Windows 7 was installed (by a local shop) about three weeks ago on my ~3-year old HP machine, but I didn't try to use IE before this, since I have Firefox (6.0.2), which is working well. I forget exactly why I tried running IE, but it wasn't because I really needed to. As I said, Firefox can use the IE engine with no problem. I just can't run IE as a separate program.

Nope, there wasn't any IE8 there after I uninstalled IE9. I got the same message, "Internet Explorer has stopped working", as before with no other info.

Yes, this is a full paid-for version of Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. It was installed fresh (a full install, no upgrade).

All Windows updates are enabled and in place. I run the Secunia online scanner (OSI) about once a week, so I'm sure.

It may sound screwy, but those are the facts.

Frank

P.S. I ran the usual anti-viruses and anti-rootkits (SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, MalwareBytes), with NO items found.

Edited by Frank14612, 21 September 2011 - 09:46 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:20 AM

Yes, this is a full paid-for version of Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. It was installed fresh (a full install, no upgrade).

Take it back to the shop NOW - I would -

Look in Windows Explorer (Accessories) > Click on the Hard Drive (usually C) > Click on Program Files > and the program, (Internet Explorer) should be listed there -
If it is not listed in your Programs or Windows Explorer, then you have a bad (??fake??) install -

When I click on the Start ORB, then hover the mouse over All Programs, then Internet Explorer is about the 3rd item listed.
I am typing on the XP and working the W7 on the side -

Again, if it is Genuine Windows, then Internet Explorer Will be there as it is a part of all Windows installs -

>>"Yes, this is a full paid-for version of Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. It was installed fresh (a full install, no upgrade)."<<
Do you still have the install DVDs or did the shop keep them from you ? ?

Thank You -

#9 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

Jon,

In view of the fact that I never have used or intend to use Internet Explorer as a stand-alone app, and I can access its engine (which works fine) via Firefox for those increasingly negligible times it may be needed, I just uninstalled Internet Explorer from my machine.

I have no other issues with Windows 7. It's working fine and is the best Microsoft OS I've used since I started using PCs in 1990.

I also have no issues with the shop that did the installation for me. At the end of August, the local shop took my machine, installed Win7 (after wiping out WinXP) and reinstalled all my data and apps to their former working condition, to my complete satisfaction, for the grand sum of $75, which I consider a bargain. I've already downloaded a (free) Windows 7 Home Premium installation DVD from the Web, so I'm set in case I have to repair or reinstall (which of course I don't intend to do).

In sum I'm happy with things as they are at this point and would rather not go any further with this minor IE glitch. If things worsen or fail, that would be a different story.

So I thank you for your help and I'm going to consider this now as "case closed." :)

Frank

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

I've already downloaded a (free) Windows 7 Home Premium installation DVD from the Web

From this it sounds like you have never had a Full Legal copy of Genuine Windows 7.
There are actually a set of 3 DVDs needed to install Win 7, and you should have them for backup or reinstall.

If the shop have them ? ? or you gave them to the shop, then you need to get them back.

A Legal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium will cost about $150 just for the DVDs, and the work is at least the $75 you quoted.

Draw your own conclusions from those prices, and then tell me if your copy is Fully Legal.

Thanks for asking, and I hope the program will not cause further problems -

See you Later Frank B)

#11 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

Jon,

The information I find on the Web is that, if you download it, it takes only one ISO file to make one DVD and that's all that's needed to install Windows 7. Also, I've seen ads for Windows 7 full install that offer 3 install licenses for a total of about $100. No mention anywhere of multiple DVDs required. Can you point me to a reliable source that says Windows 7 needs 3 DVDs for one install? This shop has been in business for quite a while and seems very much above-board. Bottom line is that I have a working installation with a valid license number.

Thanks!

Frank

Edited by Frank14612, 22 September 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx
The above is one link for the Home Family Pack , designed to only be used in One House and to link the computers -
If these are not installed in the one house, as designed, they become illegal according to the EULA of the program.

ads for Windows 7 full install that offer 3 install licenses for a total of about $100

These are not Legal installs - At least double that for Legal versions - Single Legal versions cost about $120. Ring any legal dealer.
You can purchase "crack" versions of anything on the internet B) . There are also non-genuine licenses for sale at $40 to $60.

You cannot purchase a Genuine version of Windows 7 Home Premium under about $100.
I just purchased genuine Recovery DVDs for $66 (Cheap) to Repair my preinstalled system. There were also 3 DVDs in the Recovery pack.

If shops buy Family Packs (these still cost over $200) and install on 3 non-related computers then it is Theft pure and simple.

You are having problems as your copy is not 100% Legal, and you always will. (Sorry)

I stand by what I said - Your shop has not installed Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 -

Regards -

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

Hello Frank14612, can you show me where you downloaded the DVD iso?

As Noknojon already said, Windows CD/DVDs are not offered for download by Microsoft. There are different license options, so I cannot give you any specific information about that, but I can tell you that a downloaded/burned copy of Windows 7 is usually not legal.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#14 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

I can't address all the issues just presented at once, so I'm going to try to do it one at a time.

Regarding where did I get the downloaded version of Windows 7 Home Premium (a one-DVD ISO image), here is the site:

Digital River Direct Download Links for Windows 7 Editions Free | dXdO - Tech 4 All
http://www.dxdo.com/digital-river-direct-download-links-for-windows-7-editions-free/

Microsoft’s partner Digital River is providing the direct high speed download links for the Windows 7 all editions, The download links are available in English,French,German,Spanish languages.

The installation ISO files of Windows 7 are hosted on the server msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net owned by Digital River, one of the delivery partners for Windows 7.

All you need is legal the Product key for a Windows 7 Edition that you want to install using these ISO images.

You can burn these images using any standard burner like ImgBurn

=================================

As I said, I have the Product key for my Win7 install.

Frank

P.S. This site talks about only ONE ISO/DVD being needed for a full install. I don't see how else this can be interpreted.

Edited by Frank14612, 23 September 2011 - 11:09 AM.

#15 Frank14612

Frank14612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

Regarding Jon's statement:

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx
The above is one link for the Home Family Pack , designed to only be used in One House and to link the computers -
If these are not installed in the one house, as designed, they become illegal according to the EULA of the program.

ads for Windows 7 full install that offer 3 install licenses for a total of about $100
These are not Legal installs - At least double that for Legal versions - Single Legal versions cost about $120. Ring any legal dealer.

Here is what I found doing a Google search today. I recall seeing a lower price (~$100) when I Googled this subject back in August.

compare prices win7 home family pack - Google Search
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=compare+prices+win7+home+family+pack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Fri Sep 23 2011 11:57:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 3 Users Family Pack Upgrade
About this product
Print
Buy from Walmart
Shipping & Pickup
$124.54
List Price: $149.00
You Save: $24.46 (16%)

Special Buy

=============================

Sorry if I misquoted, but I believe I was in the ballpark.

Frank

P.S. I don't think Walmart would be selling illegal installs. Also, I had been intending to buy the Family Pack since I have two other laptops in the same house, same family.

Edited by Frank14612, 23 September 2011 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users