Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes when trying to skip disk check

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Centuck

Centuck

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hi there,

So i recently added ram to my computer, this is DDR2 RAM, so i took out 2 old sticks that were 1 gig each and put in two 2 gig sticks. Therefore all 4 of my slots are full and i have 6Gigs in total. When i tried to start up my computer i pressed F1 to save the new memory amount (This amount was indeed correct), and my computer rebooted but then stopped at a disk check. I allowed it to run the disk check for about 10-15 seconds. In this short amount of time it was displaying a bunch of corrupted files and attempting to resolve them i am guessing, but suddenly my computer restarted around 5 times in a row in 5-10 second intervals then i got the error saying:

2233 - HECI error during MEBX execution.
MEBX status = 0302.
ME BIOS Extension Module halted.
Update BIOS or ME Firmware if problem persists.

I have only found one reference of this on the internet: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-based/dc7900-CMT-2233-HECI-Error-during-MEBX-execution/td-p/4490533 which seems like it was a faulty motherboard. What i did was i took out the new sticks of RAM and put in the old sticks of RAM and tried my computer again. This time I got all the way to the disk check again and this time i skipped it. Windows started up fine but with some other issues. When i started Google Chrome, it said that my internet explorer.lnk file was corrupted. Also if i tried to reinstall internet explorer, it would fail installation near the end. (by fail i mean i would get a window saying Internet Explorer could not fully install). Next i tried Microsoft excel, and it failed saying i did not have enough memory even though my computer stated i had 6 gigs but 5.7 something usable RAM. I tried word and it instantly "Stopped Working" as windows put it. So i uninstalled microsoft office to try an reinstall it but I rebooted my computer after I uninstalled it. Upon reboot, the disk check appeared again and now whenever i try to skip it, it freezes. Should i let the disk check run? Please let me know thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

1) right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

2) Check for a bios update

#3 Centuck

Centuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

Allan i think you misinterpreted what i said. I could not even get onto windows because it would freeze if i tried to skip the disk check. But i let it run again but this time it healed all the files and what not, rebooted my machine, and everything is fine again. Really not sure what happened to cause all those errors but alas everything is Okay!

Administrators, you can mark this as complete.
BTW Thank you for replaying so fast Allan I do really appreciate it.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Did you install mismatched ram?

#5 Centuck

Centuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Sorry please do not close this topic as i ran into the same issues. Internet explorer no longer says corrupted but i still can't open up microsoft office programs and when i tried to open up visual studio 2010 it said i was missing a file, although it wokred before i switched all this RAM and stuff.

What do you mean by mismatched RAM? I have 2 1Gig sticks and 2 2Gig sticks and they do appear to be different makes.

#6 Centuck

Centuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Also, upon trying to start various other applications, i get an error saying gdiplus.dll is missing.

#7 Centuck

Centuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Did you install mismatched ram?

I just tried taking out the 2 1 Gig sticks, leaving the 2X2GIG sticks in, and still the same result.

#8 Centuck

Centuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

ADMINS - Please close this topic. I ended up just reformatting my computer again since I had just done it before all this had happened anyway so i lost nothing. Thanks for the attempted help though everyone! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users