Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Find Server

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 merthyrblue

merthyrblue

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

Keep on having lousy internet connection if i can get a connection at all! Most of the time i get the message "Connot Find Server" and then a message to check my network adapter's setting (D-Link). Even the links in "My Favs" don't always work. Have checked with my ISP and there is no problem at their end. Would appreciate any help. Thanks. MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

We need more information.
What type of connection? DSL/Cable/Dialup/ISDN Company name.
Are you runniing thru a router? Make/Model/Wired or wireless
WHat OS are you using? XP home or Pro, '9x, ME.
How long is this been hapening?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 merthyrblue

merthyrblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

Hello Acklan
I have a Tiscali Broadband account and i'm running Windows XP Home Edition. A mate of mine installed a D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router and DWL-G122 AirPlus G Wireless USB Adapter. Have had problems since it was initially installed about a month ago and have got steadily worse in my opinion but was told it would come right. Like a fool i beleived him. Hope someone can help sort this out! Thanks MB

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:58 AM

To test the inside wiring, can you run a wire from the outside service box directly to the ADSL modem? This will eliminate or point to the inside wiring. I find the wire in the house or from te service box to the street side junction box to be the problem a small part of the time (about 1/3). It is easy to test the house wiring by bypassing it.
Do you have a wireless telephone that is on the same freq. as your router/NIC? Try changing freqs.

EDIT: PS I find USB a poor platform. I go out of my way not to use it.

Edited by acklan, 23 January 2006 - 12:59 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 merthyrblue

merthyrblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:59 AM

I keep getting the same message all the time.

Wireless Network Connection 6 (only know of the connection i'm using at present).
Speed: 5.5Mbps
Signal Strength: Low

If i can't get the problems sorted with the above mentioned could you tell me how i can go back as i was using the telephone line and ISP's modem. Thanks MB

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Signal Strength: Low

How far apart are the router and the PC? (laptop?) Run your PC in the same room as the router for a while to see if that is the problem. If you are in the same room you should have 'signal strength: Excellent' or there is something wrong with your hardware.
Make sure you are connected to the D-Link router by pinging it's IP address:

At your PC, Click Start>Run then type cmd and hit enter.
In the black window that opens type ipconfig

Depending on your network you should see headings like:

"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection"
or
"Ethernet adapter D-LINK Wireless Connection"
or similar.

Below each of these headings will be a list of names followed by numbers, such as:
"IP Address..........:192.168.0.3"
"Subnet Mask.........:255.255.255.0"
"Default Gateway.....:192.168.0.1"

- there may be other entries.

Make a note of all the "IP Address" numbers and "Default Gateway" numbers and post them here.

The "Default Gateway" should be the IP address of your router. Check the routers manual to see if it corresponds. Then ping it:

Still in the command prompt window -
Assume your remote device has the address 192.168.0.1 then a possible ping command would be:

ping -l 256 -w 5 -t 192.168.0.1

(Note the "-l" is minus lower case L)
You will see results popping up on the screen and this will continue until you press Ctrl_C to stop the ping. You may also see an activity light on the router flashing in sync with the pings.

When you stop the ping you will see the statistics gathered showing the % packet loss and the time it took for packets to return.
If the packet loss percentage is significant there is likely to be a physical problem with your network - faulty network cards or interference.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 merthyrblue

merthyrblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

Hi Rimmer
Problem finally solved. Thanks for the help!

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

What was the solution?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users