Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Questions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

HI,I was going thru these posts and some mention about using (chkdsk/f) to run a disk check but can not
find anything about it. do not want start something i can not finish,looked for tutorial but could not find
anything about how to run it,thanks

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2011 - 07:16 AM.
Split, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,554 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Microsoft information about Chkdsk: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

HI,I have GATEWAY4010 that believe the HDD is dying,also it is almost full and would like to
put in a bigger HDD.
This my game plan use a external HDD to clean existing HDD,install larger HDD by way of using a IDE TO SATA
adapter,reinstall WINXP i have OEM disk.
Also if i were to reinstall WINXP without putting all thats on existing HDD on a external HDD will i lose whats
on HDD now,as i have seen some posts suggest a reinstall sometimes works wonders.
I also have BSOD,can not defrag HDD not enough space,almost all of BSOD in when i use FIREFOX.
Sorry for long its almost 4am here need someone to straighten my plan out for me,thanks.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

HI,I have GATEWAY4010 that believe the HDD is dying

What makes you think that your current hard drive "is dying"?

What is the exact model of the Gateway computer?

Is it the following model? Gateway GT4010 Media Center Computer

Is this the motherboard in your computer? http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/FIC/105553/105553nv.shtml
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Well i am not totally sure as i have several scans andthey all say HDD is healthy,but when i tried to
do a defrag. on PC all i saw was red from one end to another,plus i have fighting BSOD for months.
When i go into firefox i get the top bar from x-marks that says login and it locks up my PC,then i have to shut down PC
and if i catch it just right i can cancell x-marks then i can continue,have not found out how to remove x-marks
And yes that is the right info on my PC,I may have been mistaken about the IDE drive as when i went into info
about PC it said it had a SATA connector. If it has a SATA connector should i be able to put a lager HDD in.
THANKS

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

First, the fact that your drive is highly fragmented is indicative of nothing except that you should defrag it.

Second, I don't understand what you are talking about re: Firefox and the top bar and "x marks"

Third, Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

I take it that you are referring to the following with respect to "x-marks":
  • http://download.xmarks.com/download/all
  • https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/xmarks-sync/

To stop any problem with xmarks in Firefox, go to Tools on the (top) Main Menu > Add-ons and either Disable or Uninstall xmarks.

Your computer motherboard has connectors for both IDE/ATA and SATA hard drives, so you will not have a problem connecting any new hard drive to your system ... as long as you have already got or purchase the necessary data cable to connect it. You can then install Windows on the new hard drive, and connect your other old hard drive as a secondary hard drive and have access to all the data on it. I advise that you disconnect the old hard drive and have ONLY the new hard drive connected when you install Windows. You can re-connect the old hard drive at some later time, when you have successfully installed Windows on the new hard drive and everything is working as it should.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hi - A quick extra -

,but when i tried to do a defrag. on PC all i saw was red from one end to another,

Do you know how much Free space you have ? ? Most defrag programs need about 15% to run.

Click on Analyse in the defrag program and this should tell you - Yours can take several hours to run, if it is as bad as you say.

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

HI,AustrAlien,is there any good or bad reason to run chkdsk on a PC,I have run several scans and they all say
that HDD is good,one problem i have right now is i can not run a defrag. because of lack space.
When i go into defrag. it is red at the start for about 2",do you have any ideas why,my defrag's before were
never this bad,THANKS

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 08:37 AM.
Moved from other member's topic.

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

HI,thanks for the replies,info. on adding another HDD will make my decision easier,as to free space to defrag. i have not got
enough to do it,what i do not understand ishow all of extra space i got after removing a partition i gained about 50GB of space.
It took me about 5yrs. to fill up 132GB,but in the last 6mos. i used up 45GB of space, one thingi found was NERO6 was backing up PC
ALL the time went folders and deleted a bunch of them picked up about 4GB of space i still think there is alot hidden somewhere but
have not found it yet,THANKS FOR THE INFO.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

One of the many free tools available...for finding out where hard drive space is being used, WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html .

Louis

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:49 PM

One of the many free tools available...for finding out where hard drive space is being used, WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html .

Louis

HI, I RAN THE SCAN WITH WINDIRSTAT and found one item about NERO BACKITUP hat appears to have 106GB IN IT,
NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS FIGURE OUT WHAT I HAVE ON MY HANDS,BECAUSE I HAD REMOVED SOME NERO6 BACKUP ALREADY.
Now i just started using this program but can look deeper into the NERO6 backup and find out what is acutually in it
THANKS

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:25 AM

I (still) use the Nero 6 assembly of programs but I don't use the BackItUp program, I don't even install it. The Nero 6 Suite contains many types of programs which I don't install, since I don't use them and don't want them using system resources.

A 106GB file is probably a backup made using BackItUp...what's the file extension for that file?

Louis

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

Agree with hamluis - by all means check the extension, but most likely you can just delete the backup file to regain the space.

#15 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well, last nite i went thru what i saw in folders an it appears to be most of them had at least 1.16GB or more
in each one went thru and deleted all of them and ran a defrag.and it came out clean.
Also finely was able to disable X-MARKS,so hopefully i will not have fight it anymore if and when i go back into firefox.
Now maybe i may not have replace HDD after all. Disabled NERO6 BACKITUP did not realize that i had set up a automatic B/U
in it. The upside is i found out from you guys that i can puta bigger HDD in PC,THANKS FOR ALL OF HELP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users