Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP monitor front menu/power buttons not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BMTex

BMTex

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

I have a HP w2408h monitor whose buttons have become unresponsive. I cannot turn the monitor off or on normally, I have to unplug it if the screen goes black to reset it. The front menu buttons to bring up the OSD do not work at all. All I can find are links about OSD lockout and this is definitely something different. PLZ HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

I'm not sure if anyone's going to be able to offer an online solution for that. If the controls have physically stopped working, there's not much option other than to open up the monitor and find out why. Unless you have some proficiency with electronics, that pretty much means a service center, especially as (if I identify it correctly), that monitor is an absolute horror to open up. Just to be quite sure the control software for the monitor isn't doing something weird, you could double-check that the controls still don't respond when the computer is started in Safe Mode, or if the monitor is connected to another computer that doesn't have the monitor's software installed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

Ok, I got this monitor as partial payment for some work and it didn't come with any software unless its all plug and play. Could you tell me what exactly I would be looking for as far as software??

Edited by BMTex, 22 September 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

If you haven't installed the software from HP, then that part won't apply. When you say you have to unplug the monitor if the screen goes black, do you mean it won't detect the video signal from the computer and come back out of standby? Sounds like it definitely has electronic problems, and would require attention from an HP service center.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users