Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming speed is spontaneously slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 samhandwich

samhandwich

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:00 AM

Hi! Allow me to explain my situation.
Before I traveled to Ecuador this summer, my relatively new PC ran great, and the DSL internet worked as well as any DSL internet should work. I use firefox and was always able to watch youtube videos without ever having to pause the stream to let them load. I have streamed videos from all sorts of websites where the loading could only occassionaly not keep up with playback.
I came back from Ecuador and found that while my PC still works fine for the most part, the internet has significant lost speed, particularly for streaming videos. A 2 minute long video on youtube will take about 10 minutes to fully load when previously, it was instantaneous. I do not understand what happened to my pc while it lyed dormant for a month. There are also noticeable other hiccups such as firefox now relatively frequently has paused periods while loading websites and gives me the "not responding" message as it struggles and takes a minute to finish the task. This happens even when there is not significant media being loaded, in fact, it happened once while I was typing this topic.

Since discovering this problem, this what recommended steps I have taken:
-used "ad-aware" to scan for spyware. Had some tracking cookies removed
-ran two virus tests using AVG and Norton's free editions. Nothing found.
-Cleaned my registry using Advanced repair and optimization (ARO) 2011 Registry cleaner. Over 1000 "junk" registry errors were found and fixed.

Despite all of this, my internet still streams slowly. I am mostly annoyed by the absurdly long streaming times for video. I have tried using chrome instead of firefox but the issues remain.

I have no idea what to try next so I would really appreciate advice from someone more knowledgeable on the matter.

I am running windows 7 on an HP G70-463CL notebook. If I remember quickly I have 3 GB or available ram and about 150,000 GB of available disk space.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

If you're still on DSL, switch to cable. The first thing I would do is talk to my ISP. Your connection is probably too slow.

#3 samhandwich

samhandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:27 AM

hmmm well I dont think that the connection itself ought to be the issue because previously it has always worked fine. I have only been using DSL and never had these problems until after summer when I returned home from travel. Nonetheless, contacting my ISP might be a good starting point anyway. Thank you.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:31 AM

DSL is fine for internet access.

But yes, contact your ISP. Nothing comes to mind with any easy fixes/troubleshooting steps on your end except bypass any router you have connected between the modem and your PC.

Can you do a speedtest on http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the results here?

#5 samhandwich

samhandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users