Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi iexplore.exe & can't end in Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tclepper

tclepper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

My computer has gotten very, very slow when running Internet Explorer 8 & I've done all
the basic "cleaning up" in order to stay ahead of it. I've run I-Obit Adv System
Care 4 regularly but I'll still get completely locked up on the internet.

I turned to the Task Manager & discovered that there are several instances of iexplore.exe
running that "End Process" will not stop and they are eating up huge amounts of memory -
as much as 100,000k (and more).
I have run my Spy-Bot S&D, Malware-Bytes Anti-Malware, AVG 10 Anti-Virus,
and I-Obit Malware Fighter... all have come up clean.

I've had as many as (6) instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
at once that can't be ended (with no Internet Explorer open ) and as few as (1).

Windows XP Pro (Vers. 5.1.2600), Service Pack 3, IE Vers 8.0.6001.18702

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

If you do a Google search for multiple instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager, you will find thousands of complaints with various causes (malware and non-malware related).

There are some worms (i.e. W32/Lovgate-AD) which can launch iexplorer.exe but it usually drops the malicious file in the Windows directory or C:\Windows\system32 folder. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a legitimate or critical system file like iexplore.exe. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. The legitimate iexplore.exe is located in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. Be sure to confirm the spelling of the file. If it is iexplor.exe or iexplorer.exe, then it's malware.

While there are some malware infections which can launch iexplorer.exe, be aware that if Internet Explorer is open, the browser itself may be creating multiple instances in Task Manager. If you're not finding any malware after performing various security scans look more closely at your browser.

If using Internet Explorer 8 or Windows 7, the browser will run an extra instance of iexplorer.exe for each opened tab as part of the Loosely-Coupled IE and Automatic Crash Recovery features by design. ACR stores information about a browsing session on the hard disk so that in the event of a browser crash, hang, or other unexpected shutdown, it will allow you to resume the last browsing session. If using multiple tabs, ARC allows recovery of all opened tabs in case of a browser failure. Essentially that allows Internet Explorer to prevent itself from closing when a web site in one tab crashes. In order to this, Internet Explorer 8 will open a new process for the main window and another process with any opened tab. As such, it is not unusual to find multiple instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager. More information about ACR and LCIE can be found on the IEBlog: IE8 and Reliability and an explanation of multiple instances of iexplorer.exe is provided by Don Varnau (MS MVP-IE) here. One drawback of this new feature is that ACR has been reported to utilize high memory resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users