Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on reinstall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

Error 0x0000007b
Dell Dimension 8400

Was reinstalling xp after a virus had done its work, got most of the way through the install but got stuck in the restarting for the setup.
I did remove the Dell utility partition when reformating as I had a cd and my BIOS may not be in proper order. I normally have two hard drives(one ATA, one SATA)but had issues running the DVD and hard drive of one cable. For the installation I unhooked the second hard drive to use the DVD but, being the silly person I am had trouble getting it all working again, thus the questionable BIOS settings.

Thank you for any help and sorry for my ignorance and poor writing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

Is your CD a reinstallation CD from Dell designed for your model#?

http://www.google.com/search?q=reinstallation+CD+from+Dell&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnsfd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=RwB4TtyaGcuSgQebqJnxDQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBIQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=723

#3 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

Oh, it's not and I see where I've gone wrong. The cd is for a laptop, and it even says it needs the partition on it to work. Yay I'm smart.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Not sure what the laptop CD is like but if you can beg, borrow or steal(not really) a plain Jane Windows CD, it's just a matter of adding the SATA controller drivers. I see them on the Dell website.

#5 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Well I'm very confused. I had Dell send me a bunch of cd's they said would solve my problem but it had the same results. I read about a driver issue with the hard drive and working around it by changing the SATA controller setting to RAID autodetect/ATA but it didn't work. The BIOS is also beyond my pea brain. There is an error, "Drive 5 not found: parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE slave)" that pops up on startup. Hope there might be a hint there for how I've messed that up.
So, not sure if I need to find the proper cd's or if I have driver/BIOS issues.

Again, much thanks.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

You posted two drives, which one got infected? You need the OEM disc for your computer then try using the ATA channel first. Its possible that a Boot Sector Virus is causing this from the start of XP install.Manual for Dell 8400

Tekken

#7 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

To be honest I'm not sure if both drives are infected, but there's only one hooked up now and it has been reformatted. The disks I'm using now are ones Dell sent, claiming it would be able to install XP even though I wiped the utility partition.

#8 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

Strange. Maybe they sent you the wrong disks or they don't have the SATA controllers integrated as it should.

Does the 8400 and the computer you are posting with have a floppy drive?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

Were you able to install after wiping the partition and on what type of hard drive was used?

Tekken

#10 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

The hard drive is the SATA drive that came with the computer. The installation seems to complete but there is a point where it restarts and just goes to the BSOD error.

#11 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

Well if the 8400 and the computer you are on or another one you can get to have floppies, just download this: R82876.exe and it will create the floppy for F6(when setup first starts you will see a F6 prompt. Press F6 and follow along) installation of the SATA RAID drivers.
If you don't have floppy drives, you can use nLite to create a CD with the drivers integrated.

#12 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm wondering if I should just try installing on the regular ATA drive to see if it works. I would assume that would mean it's a driver issue, but still wonder if it could be a setting in the BIOS causing something to get mad.
I found this post http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19378883.aspx from someone who seemed to have the exact same problem though it didn't work for me. It just made me wonder if the problem would be with the drivers given this solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users