Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaxJustMax

MaxJustMax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

Hi,
I'm having an ongoing problem with a sluggish computer. Sometimes it is very slow to boot. Sometimes it boots but when I click the Windows Explorer, the system hangs interminably. It usually comes back in time. Windows Task manager doesn't tell me too much. When I click it, it also is hung for a while before appearing.

I suspect a background process that is sucking down my CPU cycles or some such thing. I've removed Norton AV 6.0 and Webroot Spy Sweeper from my system just in case but I'm still seeing the problem. I also have Zone Alarm pro onboard. That is still active.

Is there a good diagnostic utility or procedure to use for this kind of problem?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

I would recommend you try the "Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log" . If you go thru the preparation with no results you should post a HJT log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum.
By the time you get to the HJT log you should have a good idea what is wrong with your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

Try running sfc /scannow, it might ask you to insert your Windows disk if it finds any system files that are corrupt.

To make your computer boot faster in general, run bootvis. Check the sources section at the bottom of this post for links to download the program and how to use it.

Hope that helps.

Sources:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/syspe...ot/bootvis.mspx < Bootvis
http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/blog/_a.../3/1433325.html < tutorial

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

Hello MaxJustMax and welcome to BC.

Try running Ccleaner. I have seen this program fix a sluggish slow booting computer many many times. Do not go to the issues area in that program unless you have a specific registry problem you are trying to fix.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users