Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help correctly configuring router!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CameronJ

CameronJ

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Just moved into a new apartment complex and i am having some trouble configuring my internet. For whatever reason, when i use my wifi from my own NEW linksys e1000 router or hook it up directly to it, my internet is extremely slow. webpages load slowly, i get like 15 kb/s download speeds (so slow it takes hours to update windows) and youtube/netflix take 4 times as long as the video to buffer. The reason i know the problem is my router is because when i hook my computer up directly to the ethernet port (minus the router) the internet is fine (still kind of slow, but manageable)
any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CameronJ

CameronJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1491616675.png

#3 shlack123

shlack123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Have you tried changing the wireless channel to a manual channel? Since you're in an apartment, you may be experiencing some wireless radio overlap, and sometimes setting a manual channel helps this.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

Since this is a NEW Router, Did you secure your Wifi connections while configuring your settings? You might wanna check that first and consult your manual for other types of problem. If you have an open connection, its a free for all internet access.

Tekken

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

Adding to the advice already given, make sure you're not using the default "Linksys" SSID on the router and it's something unique. It's possible you're also connecting to another "Linksys" network to which you have a low/weak signal to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users