Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Me Won't Come Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TAILHAWK

TAILHAWK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

About a year and a half ago I started having problems with my computer slowing down on me. It got so bad that it eventually just crashed. I did not know enough to make a boot disk/system disk back then. My computer was bought clean (the hard drive) w/no software on it.

What I have tried: A friend brought over a boot disk to try to get in so that we could try to at least get some response from the system. It got me to the messages below:

CMOS checksum error-Defaults loaded
Press F1 to cont., Del to enter setup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hit F1 and get:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.........

Invalid system disk
Boot from ATAPI CD ROM:

Disk boot failure, Insert System Disk

What I was wondering is if there is somewhere that I can download a system disk for this and if so would this at least get me in so that I can run some virus scanners etc. to try to get it back up and running?

Is it possible to reconfigure a boot/system disk for XP that will work for ME?

Thanks, any and all help would be greatly appreciated
"Laughing to keep from crying!"
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

You can download a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com . You could also download one of the several Live Linux Distros to see if your hardware is functioning properly. I use Puppy Linux
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hey, TAILHAWK

It might be a stab in the dark, but you could remove the CMOS battery from the mainboard and replace it a minute later. Thats a sorta "generic" solution that on most mobos will reset the CMOS back to defaults.
(a google search for info exactly might turn up a similar routine removing & replacing a jumper)

It seems like it's not really failing the POST though, 'cause you do get to your BIOS screen where it verifys the DMI Data Pool. I suspect it is behaving more like a PC that came originally with winME pre-loaded, something has occured since then that is preventing the normal boot initialization of that OS. Trying to finish the boot without the "restoreCD" that was shipped with the PC isn't working. I've encountered similar problems with an older Dell that also was "stuffed due to malware".

Honestly, the way I got around those possibly similar problems was this:

Removed the hard drive,
and bought from a used PC store a smallish 6-8 gb ATA/100 hard drive for under $10.00.
Paid them around $30.00 for a used win98 installation CD w/ it's license.

I put the replacement HD in and ran the installation, complete repartitioning & reformating.
First time through the procedure I had problems because I'd forgotten to download system drivers.
I used my other PC to get them from Dell, and I think I also pulled the old modem and shelled out another 15.00 for a brand new PCI v92 fax/modem.
(I also bought a ethernet card so I could get the install CD for it, thinking it would be easier to just get rid of yet another driver need that I wasn't certain I'd found the right one online. Dell identification numbers are pretty good, but for another $15.00 a clean start regarding what I thought I might do with it ... set up a little network, seemed logical)

With those two plug-in cards installed, I powered on to a sucessful boot into the win98

I installed the system drivers I thought (hoped) were the right ones from the Dell site from a CD-R I burned them to ... floppy disk would have worked too, since the file was rather small.

Some trial & error involving the New Hardware Wizard, several restarts and it was fine in all regards.

I think I was worried at the time about the FAT32 vs. NTFS decision because I didn't know what the winME was using ...

Anyway, once I had a working OS installed and could count on the ability to access BIOS to modify settings there I was confident enough to physically install the old winME HD and making sure it was jumpered for slave, plugged it into the center of the IDE cable that had the new replacement HD at the far end.

That did work, BIOS recognition of both HDs was confirmed.
I decided to explore winME files on the original drive for a while, to compare with winXP and such,
but I ended up simply copying personal data files (that Dell was my brother's old unit), .mp3s, .jpgs, and bookmarks, etc. over to the win98 system (master) HD before I used a MaxBlast CD from Maxtor to repartition the slave drive and end up with what I think was a Pentium II say 600mhz 256mb RAM with around 30gb total HD space that worked flawlessly.

Just posted that "Saturday afternoon workshop project" outline hoping it might give you food for thought,
since it does remind one of some possibly overlooked details or spark further specific questions:

To adequately advise we need as much information about model numbers involved as possible. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

I would just replace the battery and see if that helped. After doing that go into the Bios and Auto-Detect the hard drive, save your changes and exit.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users