Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

Since downloading an update to Norton Internet Security I cannot send/receive email on Outlook Express.
Keep getting message "POP3 server is not responding". If I disable Norton Internet Security I can receive
email but cannot send email. No problem accessing the Internet, or sending/receiving email with my ISP
(PeoplePC). Have rechecked all settings. Also cannot RESTORE.

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum.jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 22 January 2006 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hi
Sorry to tage onto this message but I have exactlly the same problem and will continue to moitor this topic. Last time I tagged on I was told to start a new topic which I did, but got no replies, so will keep an eye on this with great interest, Thanks
Clank :thumbsup:

#3 ghanson

ghanson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

I too have had problems with Outlook Express for the past week. I couldnt figure out what the problem was untill I read your guys problem with Norton AV.
I temporarily disabled Norton for 5 minutes and suddenly I had outlook back. The latest update must have blocked everything Outlook express needs to use to function properly. If anyone finds a solution before I do please reply here! I will check back often. gh.

#4 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

Try disable Norton email scanning and see if it helps. Don't disable your antivirus, just email scanning.

Disable Norton email scanning

Barb

#5 Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Tried disabling Norton Email Scan-did not help. Disabled Norton Personal Firewall (leaving Windows Firewall enabled) and have Outlook Express working OK. What is wrong with Norton Personal Firewall?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

I would not advise having two firewalls operating at the same time, as they will usually conflict; this may easily be the cause of your problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Here is what I found, and it worked for me (evidently Norton found that on some updates they modified some of the settings). Go online and open Norton Internet Security. Click on Help & Support. On the drop-down menu click on Help & Support. Click on Home & Office Support, select Technical Issues, select Search Support and type in "Outlook Express only works with Norton Personal Firewall disabled", click Search. In Refine Your Search click Norton Internet Security for Windows. Scan to "Email program problems when using Norton security programs". Scan to "Important" Select "Cannot send or receive email after running Live Update". Go to Solution and select "Scanning for Internet enabled programs in Norton Security or Norton Personal Firewall". Print this document (ten pages) and follow the directions. WORKED FOR ME. GOOD LUCK.

#8 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info Ralph. Glad to know you have found and corrected the problem.

Barb

#9 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

Hi. Thanks all, its very helpful

Unfortunately when I get to the last step of scanning for enabled programs I get an error message saying Norton is not responding to close click end now, which I do but another error comes up Program not responding My cursor over the program is an hour glass and I have to leave the Norton program box on the screen and shut down, Is the Norton program corrupt will I have to reinstall it.

Thanks Clank :thumbsup:

#10 Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

I would try over again-repeat the directions from the start and see if it completes.

#11 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Ralph

Did as you said and tried it again and it worked, never thought I had so many internet connecting programs, over 100.

Anyway It hasn't resolved the problem still unable to send or receive E mails without disabling Norton for a few seconds.

However my On Speed connects when I disable Norton and stays on when I turn it back on

When the original trouble with the E mail started at the same time My PC took ages to turn off and still does now, seconds after turning off I get an error message saying CC Apps is not responding please click end now to end the program, but before I can it goes off and still takes ages to turn off, Thanks anyway

Clank

#12 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hi All Good news

Did a Norton Internet Security Live Update today at 3pm, automatically Down loaded what was there, It was a security settings update for The Person Firewall and Yes my problem has gone, so it was them in the first place that caused the problem.. The other problem with receiving and sending E mails has also been fixed.

Hope this helps others.

Clank
:thumbsup:

#13 ladyicefire

ladyicefire

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

I had a very similar issue with Norton '05 and '06. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Symantec tech support :thumbsup: (that was not an amusing afternoon) last year. The rep had me reconfigure the firewall. Same issue this year, I did all the support options suggested by Symantec and MS and still could not send/receive email. I switched Internet Security products to Trend Micro. Still had the same issues, they listed a firewall reconfiguration as well.

Then one day I ran Kaspersky's Free OnLine Scan. It found the Sober.y virus/trojan hidden in my Norton Protected files. I downloaded the Sober Fix tool and haven't had any trouble sending or receiving email since.

I don't know why Norton and Trend Micro didn't find the virus, I've been using Norton since 2003.

LadyIceFire

Edited by ladyicefire, 09 February 2006 - 04:27 PM.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

That's the reason I recommend, to occasionally run a couple of online virus scanners.
No product will detect everything, everytime, so it's a good idea to double check with other programs.
Better safe, than sorry. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 09 February 2006 - 09:47 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 ladyicefire

ladyicefire

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:39 AM

Ironically I was using a couple of online scanners in addition to Norton. It took that particular one to catch the problem. If I didn't have 3 computers to switch off of, I'm quite sure I would lose a lot more productivity just scanning for malware. :thumbsup:

LIF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users