Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a bunch of drivers but don't know where to get them

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hi, I have an older laptop that I use for school. Recently, I had a nasty virus, so I just decided to wipe the computer clean and start over, which I did successfully. Now I need to download the drivers but I am getting frustrated. I thought I had a drivers disk, but I don't. I went on the Lenovo website thinking I could get them all from there, but I am so confused. I have no idea which drivers I need. I think because its an older laptop, they don't have updated support for the model I have.

I tried looking in the device manager to see which ones are missing but I can't make any sense of it. When I do a Google search, I see all sorts of sites where I can download free drivers, but I have no idea which sites to trust to download. For all I know, those are all Malware. Can someone please help me?

I know for sure I need the driver for my wireless card but I am missing many others too. According to the Device Manager, these all have yellow questions marks (missing drivers):
-Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus
-Base System Device
-Base System Device
-Base System Device
-Fingerprint Sensor
-Foxconn Bluetooth 2.0 plus EDR
-Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus
-Network Controller
-SM Bus Controller
-Video Controller
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Lenovo 3000 V100
Windows XP Professional

Let me know what other info you need. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hmmm, I see a host of drivers for this notebook on the Lenovo Support Site.

Posted Image
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Excellent. I could not find this page on their site, I don't know what I was doing wrong. Thanks! So, do I just download everything? How do I know which ones I need?

#4 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

UPDATE: I downloaded all of the drivers from that site and installed them. It appears to have done nothing. None of them were the driver for the wireless card. How do I find out the driver for my wireless card? Until I get that installed, I have no internet on the laptop. How do I even know what kind of wireless card I have. I am assuming it's Intel, but which one?

Also, I am assuming this is related to the drivers. When I go to shut down the computer, I do not have the option to "Stand by" because that is grayed out. Any clue on that one?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Did you use the built in recovery feature or a Windows disk?

Built in recovery usually installs the drivers along with the operating system.

#6 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

I had that stupid Going on Earth Google redirect along with a boot sector virus (forget the name of that one), plus a few other garden variety malwares. No matter what I tried, the Earth one and the other one would not die, they kept resurrecting like deranged zombies! Anyway, so I nuked the computer and then used my XP disk to reinstall windows. Silly me forgot to make sure that I had the drivers on a disk before I did all this. Hence, where I am now. No driver disk and the Lenovo website is a joke! lol

Thanks for listening to my rant. Hopefully someone can give some advice. Thanks!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

Try this.

Start Menu/All Programs.

Look for folder(s) that say Lenovo.

If there are any, look in the folders for anything related to reinstalling drivers and applications. If you see something that might be drivers and applications, open it. If it is not drivers, simply close it out.

The only thing I can tell you is I looked at my daughter's Toshiba.

In a folder called My Toshiba I found Toshiba Applications Installer.

"Toshiba Application and Driver Installer gives you a way to reinstall drivers and applications on your system"

"Allows you to select an application or driver that has been uninstalled, reinstall software that is not operating correctly or add software that was not part of the default reinstall".

I mention the Toshiba just to give you an example of what to look for on your Lenovo.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

I found 2 different drivers for wireless lan cards for your model machine.

One is for a Atheros Wireless LAN driver: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-67474

The other is for an Intel card

Intel wireless LAN driver: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-64479

Find out which card you have then install the drivers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 AA l.

AA l.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hello sunnyAZ,

I ever had driver compatibility problem before and already solved , all (my) drivers downloaded have no infection. May be you might try as the following thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic417007.html/page__p__2393041#entry2393041 scroll down to #6

Hope this help a little bit :)

#10 sunnyAZ

sunnyAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

UPDATE: I managed to get all the drivers downloaded except for the wireless card. Which is, of course, the most important one I need. I do not know why this is giving me so much trouble.

I took it to a computer person. He installed "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software" and it's not working. My wireless card now shows up under the Network Connections page which it didn't before. It is enabled but not connected. The wireless card is not on. The green light on the computer that looks like a tower with signals coming off does not light up. I tried the toggle (Function Key plus F5) to see if that would help but I cannot get it to turn on. My only conclusion is that this is not the right driver.

I installed "Intel wireless LAN driver" from Lenovo website as previously suggested. That literally does nothing. It does not show up under add/install programs so I don't even know what/where that installs but it doesn't make my wireless card work.

Can someone please help me? I have tried everything. I cannot get the wireless card working and there is no point in having a laptop if I can't get wireless internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users