Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Code 5 error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dvd1212

dvd1212

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

I'm using Vista Home Premium that has been fully updated and I have full administrator rights on my Acer 4530 laptop.

Several weeks ago I downloaded Free Download Manager from www.freedownloadmanager.org and it worked just fine. For an unknown reason it stopp working, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled from the same site. At the end of the download set up I get amessage saying "Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Free Download manager\fdm.exe. Create Process failed; code 5. Access is denied.". I'm using Kaspersky and even turned off the firewall but had the same results. I've checked for viruses, ect. using Malware Bytes, Spybot and Super Antispuware but nothing shows up.

After this problem started I uninstalled Free Download Manager and tried to download Microsoft Download Manager to see if that installation was sucessful. While I didn't get the same message, I couldn't get the software to open after the download. I've no idea where to look now - hope you folks can point me in the right direction. I don't have original Vista installation discs as the laptop came with the software installed. I have made Vista discs from the Acer site.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Make sure you install and run Free Download Manager using the Administrator mode.

(HOW TO: Select file, right-click, Run as Administrator)

The following article might also be of interest to you:
failed: Access is denied.(Error code 5)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 19 September 2011 - 09:20 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 dvd1212

dvd1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I did run in the administrator mode. Just to make sure I created a new administrator account under a different name and had the same problem. I then shut off the UAC but it made no difference. Not sure how to view the specifics if my profile.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users