Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my computer dying? :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sugar_cube

sugar_cube

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi people. For the past few weeks, my computer runs okay for the first few hours it is on, and then, it starts to lag. BIG TIME. Loading videos, playing games, switching tabs, typing...huge lagging. And when I try to shut the computer down, it takes about five minutes, because so many weird programs "aren't responding."

I got my computer in January of 2007, and since then have battled numerous viruses, and have had to clean out the innards of the computer (for dust) twice. I did the latter most recently in June, because the tower started to sound like a vacuum cleaner. Also in June, I got a really nasty virus, and thought my computer was done for. But malwarebites, secunia, and a trial version of McAfee helped with that, plus some other stuff I can't fully remember now. It was awful.

My free McAfee expired a few weeks ago. Could that be the problem? I know I don't have the virus like last time, but could other gross mini-viruses and spywares be doing this? Or should I be deleting certain programs, or defragmenting something? I really don't know what to think. Is it just time for me to buy a new computer? Now would be the time for me, financially, but I don't want to do it unless it's really necessary.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Sounds like you got a long history. Have you considered formatting and doing a fresh install? It will run like the day you got it barring any hardware problems of course.

Edited by .X., 18 September 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#3 sugar_cube

sugar_cube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for your reply! Would I need an XP CD-ROM disk? Because my computer came with it installed, but did not come with a disk (unless I lost it...)

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

Either a disk or a recovery partition. What's the exact make and model of your computer? If you post a screenshot of your disk management console I can tell you whether you have a recovery partition. To do this click Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > press enter or OK. Press alt + print scrn (the active windows gets copied to the clipboard) and paste it into any graphics program...Paint will do.

Edited by .X., 18 September 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#5 sugar_cube

sugar_cube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Here is a screencap...I hope I have uploaded it correctly!

Attached File  computer.jpg   51.07KB   4 downloads

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

Ooh! Pretty colors!

No, you don't have a recovery partition. You would need to find your disk or buy one from eBay or something.

And you didn't answer this...

What's the exact make and model of your computer?

OK, lets try some basic troubleshooting then....

When your computer starts "lagging" can you open up Task Manager and post a screenshot of both the Processes tab and Performance tab?

Also, please download Speccy portable, unzip it, run it and click File, Publish Snapshot and paste the URL to your next reply.

Edited by .X., 18 September 2011 - 11:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users