Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mbandrlb

mbandrlb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi all,

I came across a year old HP Pavillion DV7-1267 that was crushed on top.the screen is broken as well as some of the keys do not work.I was able to start the computer somewhat.It will not boot.It says Boot record not found insert bootable disc and press any key.i did pull the hard drives out and tested them to see if they were accessable.One of them came back and said not accessable.I tried a HP recovery disc from a different laptop.It started to run and then said i was not using the correct model to run this disc.I did try another hard drive in the broken laptop and it ran fine.

what can i use to be able to run these hard drives.there are a lot of pictures the former owner would like to save if i can.

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Can you enter "Setup" with the laptop?

• Press "ESC" at boot-up, then F10 key.
  • See if the hard drive is recognized in BIOS.
  • Choose "Diagnostic" menu and run diagnostics.
If the hard drive is recognized and spins, you could either remove it and attach it as slave drive to a desktop system (adapter required) and try to remove data.

OR

Recover My Documents from an unbootable Windows System:

While there are many ways to accomplish this but one of the fastest and easiest is using Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
  • Another computer with a CD burner, a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.
View a tutorial: Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users