Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving windows 7 files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

I had to do a reinstall of a Win 7 32bit pro OS for a user, but before I did, I moved her data to my machine, did the reinstall on her and then moved her data to her profile.

I logged in as her, and verified that her "my docs" and favorites were there and that I can access them. However, all of the data icons are transparent (folders on her desktop and the actual data in her mydocs).

Most of it is pictures and movies and I can access them, but everything is clear. I did notice that even the favorites are transparent and they do not show in the browser (IE) even though the link is in fact in the Favorites directory in her profile.

I looked at the scurity settings and it looks correct...no issues.

What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Can you take a screenshot of this?

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

As you can see, the bottom 3 folders are transparent. The only complication that I can see to this so far is that the favorites links look the same way in the favorites directory and when I open IE, I do not see them in the favorites drop down.

From the screen shot (see attached), I have the security properties opened for the top folder "Chris Brown". I am logged in as nmccarthy, who has full rights to this folder.Attached File  scrnsht.png   82.53KB   7 downloads

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Right click on each one and go to properties of the folder and see if they are hidden.

#5 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

Yep, that was it.

Not sure how they became hidden just by doing a file transfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users