Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E: Drive doesn't recognise discs inserted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

For some reason, when I insert a disc onto my E: Drive, it doesn't recognise the disc as being there. The E: Drive is listed where it should be in My Computer, but doesn't recognise a disc when inserted into it. I uninstalled the E: Drive which reinstalled automatically on reboot, but the problem remains. Can anyone recommend what steps I should take to remedy this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

It doesn't recognize a specific cd or any cd?

Let's make sure the driver works. Insert a BOOTABLE disc, make sure the optical drive is the first device in your bios boot order, and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot?

#3 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

No discs are recognised. I inserted a bootable disc and rebooted, but still there's no life in the drive.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

If the disc is indeed bootable and if the drive is the first device in the bios boot order and if the system doesn't see it at boot, the drive is almost certainly dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users